Kitchen Sink Storm Feb 2-4, 2022

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Trevor
Site Admin

Re: Kitchen Sink Storm Feb 2-4, 2022

Post by Trevor »

All snow by 10pm with 20 degrees.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Heavy snow now for CVG finally around 10pm range. Hooray!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Nice deformation band showing up on this run.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Interesting run by the nam and a couple of small items but they can end up being huge depending where you live. The storm like most will waffle in intensity but this one stays pretty much the same from run to run. Timing and early on the nam is a tad slower than the earlier run but ends up in a similar spot later on Thursday. Just going by the model and nothing else we are talking about just a tad stronger but about 20 miles further southeast. Yes its a minor trend but one that leads to more confidence this is going to be such a headache on Thursday.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Snow wraps up by 1am. Couple inches on the backside.
Silverton, OH

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Trev,also if the map is correct with the snow the ratios will be increasing from your normal 10-1 and would not be surprised if we get to 15-1.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

St Louis and a place Les mentioned earlier is down to 22. Going to be a slow fall today but the local forecast has 21 at 4pm. Of course mid-day we usually see a stop to dropping temps and can even rise a degree or two but will be interesting what that temp is at 4pm.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tpweather wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:17 am Trev,also if the map is correct with the snow the ratios will be increasing from your normal 10-1 and would not be surprised if we get to 15-1.

I think at the very end we ma may see those ratios but when it starts in the beginning i would expect it to be fairly gritty for a time and rather low ratios
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

With large systems and not talking strength but how widespread this storm covers there is going to be snow busts. Never seen a larger storm not have busts and models can only do so much for a wide area. Two places that could have these busts from the current forecast is near Indy especially northwest side where does the second wave go and do they end the precip a little earlier than predicted which would cut down snow total forecasts. Then I believe just northwest of the the local tri-state and probably parts of southeast Indiana up into Butler county and towards Dayton the precip may change to all snow a couple of hours quicker and that can lead to busts with higher totals. Again this will be a now cast but at this point where I see the busts may happen this far out.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

One thing I saw was a possible lull in the action between rain an ice. Hopefully crews can get out and get some salt down. I know wishful thinking.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

So if we want more in the way of snow I believe the second wave just needs to be slower in arriving. Models have hinted at that but not to the point that you can change much in the forecast. Give me that longer break between waves is still at the top of my list and how the precip types play out. I know probably done hearing about that part but I have seen so many storms bust as well because of the duration between waves of low pressure and seen it both ways where it is less time and also more time between the two.
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tpweather wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:28 am With large systems and not talking strength but how widespread this storm covers there is going to be snow busts. Never seen a larger storm not have busts and models can only do so much for a wide area. Two places that could have these busts from the current forecast is near Indy especially northwest side where does the second wave go and do they end the precip a little earlier than predicted which would cut down snow total forecasts. Then I believe just northwest of the the local tri-state and probably parts of southeast Indiana up into Butler county and towards Dayton the precip may change to all snow a couple of hours quicker and that can lead to busts with higher totals. Again this will be a now cast but at this point where I see the busts may happen this far out.
I think that is logical thinking and reasonable. Like you said though, with these large storms it's really difficult. Usually what we think is going to happen doesn't. There is going to be a really sharp line between snow and sleet with the second wave. Whoever is just north of the sleet looks to get very heavy snow for a period of time. Right now that looks to be Butler and Warren counties on north. You make very good points.
Doug

Huber Heights
BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

Just catching up. So my hood doesn’t really see anything until later tomorrow?
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

NAM smorgasbord accumulation . An improvement from previos run for most of AV land

ma.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:24 am
tpweather wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:17 am Trev,also if the map is correct with the snow the ratios will be increasing from your normal 10-1 and would not be surprised if we get to 15-1.

I think at the very end we ma may see those ratios but when it starts in the beginning i would expect it to be fairly gritty for a time and rather low ratios
I agree with Bgoney. Ratios will be a mess during the transition.
Silverton, OH

mainevilleweather
Thunder Storm

Post by mainevilleweather »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:37 am NAM smorgasbord accumulation . An improvement from previos run for most of AV land

ma.PNG
We are not far from getting good snows. Just need that cold air to move in a little quicker and we are money. (wishful thinking, but hey why not!)
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

BookNerdCarp wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:36 am Just catching up. So my hood doesn’t really see anything until later tomorrow?
You will be seeing freezing rain starting early tomorrow. Probably between 6-9am.
Silverton, OH

Ryan
Rain Shower

Post by Ryan »

You can see real "on the ground" conditions of Indiana Snow plows from INDOT's website: https://511in.org/. In the layers box you can select "Plow Cameras", then for each set of images you can look through timestamps.

They drop regular pictures throughout their routes. You can already see differences in conditions from NW to SW.
- Ryan
Logan, IN (~3mi NE of Bright, IN)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.18" as of 10am at CVG
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

The 3K NAM.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:02 amThe 3K NAM.
That's the old 6Z run.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z RGEM not falling in line with everyone else changing CVG over tof rz rain after 4am.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

6z EU not much change from 0z concerning sleet/snow accumulations

eus.PNG
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:05 am
dce wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:02 amThe 3K NAM.
That's the old 6Z run.
Thanks for noticing that! I meant to do the 12z.
Doug

Huber Heights
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:06 am 12Z RGEM not falling in line with everyone else changing CVG over tof rz rain after 4am.
It makes sense looking at the model because it has such a small window between waves and really keeps precip going much of the time. So if the model is correct about time between waves it could score a win.