January 2022 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Re: January 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by cloudy72 »

mikeyp wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:44 am Boy I sure do like the overnight model runs. The GFS and CMC are looking great for our area
Agreed! Hope to see this trend continue on the 12z runs.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and looks like a decent day ahead. Feel like I am looking at a blank slate since I have been out of the loop for nearly a week. Great to come back to at least a chance for some winter weather this weekend. At this point two pieces of energy heading towards us on Friday. One is the clipper coming down from Canada and that piece is getting stronger as it heads southeast. The second is a piece of energy in the southern plains. Where these two decide to dance will be one of the keys to the weather locally. No doubt it will remain cold and precip type looks mainly to be snow. Going to be a high off the eastern seaboard this weekend and starts out fairly strong plus a system off the northeast coast moving away is also key. Does that storm move away quickly and does the high weaken. If those two things happen then the chances for us getting a decent snow will be less. If the high remains strong this can put sort of a traffic jam in the pattern and this will slow down the pattern and this could help us in terms of getting a decent snow. So we have plenty of energy with the clipper and the GOM looks to be open for business but like in life timing is key. Will watch the trends over the next 24 hours and with so many of the pieces of the puzzle thousands of miles away I expect some drastic model changes the next 24 hours and hopefully by Thursday a much clearer picture will happen.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:29 am Good morning all and the models are continuing to throw us a bone. NAM is still fantasy range but even it's north with the low track at 84 hours. versus the low being down along the Gulf Coast. The GFS is wow-wee!!! 6Z run is even more north bringing the low into KY where it dies and does the East Coast transfer to an inland low. Major snow storm for us on the GFS, both the 0Z and 6Z runs. As Mike said, the CMC is playing ball now fully supporting the GFS solution. Euro is still a swing and a miss for us but it's not quite as south as it once was, it is slowly coming north. GEFS is still south of the OP GFS but I am see more members with the N low track then before so it's slowly coming around. EPS is like the OP Euro. We'll see folks but my interest is increasing in this system now due in on Sunday instead of Saturday.
Good Morning Les and great post. My guess if the noon time models continue the trend we may need to have a new topic just for this storm. Again the next 24 hours will be crucial and we know sampling later tonight and Thursday is crucial. At this point I have no feeling how this may turn out but I do know winter weather is likely but how severe is way too early for me to guess. Sunday would be perfect though for a nice snow.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:49 am
tron777 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:29 am Good morning all and the models are continuing to throw us a bone. NAM is still fantasy range but even it's north with the low track at 84 hours. versus the low being down along the Gulf Coast. The GFS is wow-wee!!! 6Z run is even more north bringing the low into KY where it dies and does the East Coast transfer to an inland low. Major snow storm for us on the GFS, both the 0Z and 6Z runs. As Mike said, the CMC is playing ball now fully supporting the GFS solution. Euro is still a swing and a miss for us but it's not quite as south as it once was, it is slowly coming north. GEFS is still south of the OP GFS but I am see more members with the N low track then before so it's slowly coming around. EPS is like the OP Euro. We'll see folks but my interest is increasing in this system now due in on Sunday instead of Saturday.
Good Morning Les and great post. My guess if the noon time models continue the trend we may need to have a new topic just for this storm. Again the next 24 hours will be crucial and we know sampling later tonight and Thursday is crucial. At this point I have no feeling how this may turn out but I do know winter weather is likely but how severe is way too early for me to guess. Sunday would be perfect though for a nice snow.
Thanks Tim and good morning to you! I believe the energy will be sampled on Thursday. Probably midday to early afternoon on Thursday if you go by the GFS timing.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

This image is geared more for Charles and New England, but you can see the EPS SLP clusters have come west. Most of the members even yesterday at 12Z where near or off the coast. Lot of inland PA members now.

EPSSLP.png

6Z GEFS SLP clusters... lots of northern members.

GEFSSLP.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Continuing with good trends, the MJO is looking very nice according to satellite. Much stronger convection now in phase 8 (The eastern cluster)territory, more so than 7 ,imo.

r5s_snd_1240.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We are officially in Phase 8 now per the Aussies as of 1/10. Awesome news for the rest of January. :)

rmm.phase.Last40days.gif
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

I would definitely agree with the Aussies placement, with the verification from the satellite!!!!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Whether or not this weekend pans out, the pattern going forward IMO thru the end of January is continuing to look favorable for cold and wintry weather. The fun starts obviously with this weekend's system to get things started!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The excitement for the 12Z suite is building.... :lol: We'll see if we can real this one in guys! If massive shifts back to the east and south do not happen with the next round of models, then our chances should go up. You typically won't get too many major shifts inside of 96 hours. So after today, if we can get more good runs today, then I think our chances are good on this system. We shall see!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

At hr 66 NAM is matching up pretty well with GFS/EU
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

NAM looks S of its previous run but the surface low is stronger and a tad slower at 84 hours. This is in the NAM's fantasy range still so not quite in its useful range as of yet.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

6Z GFS at 90 hours has the low at 1006 MB over NE MS. At 84 hours, the NAM also at 1006 MB but it's only over NE LA at that time.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

All in all , a good run from the NAM, nothing outrageous and on the same gameboard as the globals , even in its dart throwing hours.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

tpweather wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:47 pm Good Evening. I have missed the forum the last week as my mom was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday and then today she was sent to a local rehab facility. I won't get into details but she will be 90 this year and has fallen 3 times in the past 6 months. I hope to have some time over the next few days to see what is going on.
Praying for a speedy recovery for your Mom.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

I hate to say this. But I hope the snow stays away. :( I believe I have the virus. Got a telehealth appointment this afternoon and hoping they will give the order to be tested. My brother has tested positive and I am around him quite abit. Symptoms started Saturday. Been having good days and bad days here.

Back to weather, that 0z gfs run was a doozy last night. :)
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

young pup wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:26 am I hate to say this. But I hope the snow stays away. :( I believe I have the virus. Got a telehealth appointment this afternoon and hoping they will give the order to be tested. My brother has tested positive and I am around him quite abit. Symptoms started Saturday. Been having good days and bad days here.

I’ve been going through it too. Started feeling sick last Monday and still have some congestion and a cough. No fun!
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
Spacejunk
Rain Shower

Post by Spacejunk »

young pup wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:26 am I hate to say this. But I hope the snow stays away. :( I believe I have the virus. Got a telehealth appointment this afternoon and hoping they will give the order to be tested. My brother has tested positive and I am around him quite abit. Symptoms started Saturday. Been having good days and bad days here.

Well that sucks. I had it last winter during the big snows of mid February. Quarantining in my plow truck with a massive headache. Hopefully you are Omicron vs Delta. Best wishes.
Oxford, Ohio
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Trevor wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:37 am

I’ve been going through it too. Started feeling sick last Monday and still have some congestion and a cough. No fun!
I feel your pain. Hope you continue to get better.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Spacejunk wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:38 am

Well that sucks. I had it last winter during the big snows of mid February. Quarantining in my plow truck with a massive headache. Hopefully you are Omicron vs Delta. Best wishes.
I bet that was no fun. Headache is coming and going. Yeah if we get snow, that is what I plan on doing. Going to try to find someone to possibly do walks for me. That way, I am not getting out of the truck. Yes, I hope the test can tell the difference. I had it 2 years ago and it was horrible then. I got my vaxx so I believe that has helped keep the symptoms lesser. Thanks for the wishes. Going to go back to bed and I just got up an hour ago. LOL
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

young pup wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:41 am
Trevor wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:37 am

I feel your pain. Hope you continue to get better.
Same to you, my friend!
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

Just wanted to say hello all! Missed you guys. Anything exciting happening? ;)
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

House of Cards wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:48 am Just wanted to say hello all! Missed you guys. Anything exciting happening? ;)
DAVEEEEEE! Glad you are back my friend! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Another nice run folks from the 12Z GFS. It is south of 6Z but 6Z was so amp'ed up we can afford a tick south anyway lol Has the primary low working up into Eastern TN before doing the transfer.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tpweather wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:47 pm Good Evening. I have missed the forum the last week as my mom was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday and then today she was sent to a local rehab facility. I won't get into details but she will be 90 this year and has fallen 3 times in the past 6 months. I hope to have some time over the next few days to see what is going on.
Hey Tim, I'll say prayers for you're mom and for you too, I've been there!