April 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: April 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:52 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:36 am
MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:34 am At the freezing mark here in G'ville and progged to top out at around 60 today.

Sure looking forward to the 70s again this weekend! :thumbupright:
If modeling is correct on lower coverage of rain this weekend, down Cincy way, we could be looking at 80+ again.
I agree but I will be in Wisconsin where the rain looks likely. My son said is pond is still about 3 feet below what it should be so hopefully the rain will help. Are plan was to go up there and work in the yard but it may be to soggy. Leaving Thursday and coming back Sunday so a quick trip.
Have a safe trip Tim! How large is the pond on your son's property? Does it have fish in it too? Always been a dream of mine to have some property some day with a pond on it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Thanks Les and the pond is rather small and no fish. Not sure if he will stock the pond. He does have a small river at the back of his property and maybe not this trip but in the summer will discover that. 14 acres total and mainly trees but he has about 2 acres that you need to mow but its all flat which makes it easy. I know he has talked to the Wisconsin conservation folks and he is making sure that his property is cleared out when needed to help everything grow and strive.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:01 am Thanks Les and the pond is rather small and no fish. Not sure if he will stock the pond. He does have a small river at the back of his property and maybe not this trip but in the summer will discover that. 14 acres total and mainly trees but he has about 2 acres that you need to mow but its all flat which makes it easy. I know he has talked to the Wisconsin conservation folks and he is making sure that his property is cleared out when needed to help everything grow and strive.
Sounds good Tim! That would be pretty cool if that river was deep enough to support some fish.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We officially dropped to 32 at CVG this morning.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:08 am We officially dropped to 32 at CVG this morning.
Les I got a feeling that is the last time until October
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:51 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:08 am We officially dropped to 32 at CVG this morning.
Les I got a feeling that is the last time until October
I think we have a shot Thurs morning but otherwise, we should be done after that. I hope... :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

50 already as of 10am at CVG. Temps are soaring rather quickly with wall to wall sunshine and a dry airmass in place. Good day to do yardwork (that is my task after work today lol), or anything outside!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:35 am 50 already as of 10am at CVG. Temps are soaring rather quickly with wall to wall sunshine and a dry airmass in place. Good day to do yardwork (that is my task after work today lol), or anything outside!
Beautiful day and heading to the golf course at 2pm.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:13 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:35 am 50 already as of 10am at CVG. Temps are soaring rather quickly with wall to wall sunshine and a dry airmass in place. Good day to do yardwork (that is my task after work today lol), or anything outside!
Beautiful day and heading to the golf course at 2pm.
Have fun and enjoy Tim! The wind isn't bad at all today so definitely a wonderful day for some golf. (and a few brewski's too) ;)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Not a lot of change from the 12Z GFS today. We are still looking at our next front to come in Tues night bringing a rain chance late Tues into Tues night. I still expect 0.25" or less for most folks. We cool down Wed and Thurs. Frost chance Thurs morning depending on sky cover and wind speed. We begin to moderate by Friday as a warm front enters the picture. A chance of rain will be associated with that. A weak front tries to move in on Saturday but it washes out over the area thanks to a strong SE ridge. Rain chances look to be scattered as a result. On Sunday, we could stay dry and very warm in the 80s should the next stronger front hold off until Sun night or Mon morning of next week. There will be another shot for rain and t-storms with that. Don't know on severe wx until we get closer with regards to the timing of the frontal boundary. If the current GFS run is right, the severe threat will stay to our west and we get the weakening leftovers as usual. That should about wrap up the month of April!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

A late great aunt and uncle of mine lived in rural Owensville, IN north of Evansville for several years and had a pond with fish and toads. I fished (caught and released) once or twice at their pond. :)

It was sad when strangers bought their property but will always cherish memories of them and fun times together as part of my family's "Good Old Days." ;)

Currently 59 here in G'ville.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

That's awesome Eric! I would love to own something like that. I probably need to win the lottery first though lol Got the lawn mowed again for another week. I hit 64 today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Both CVG / DAY got to 63 and CMH 61 today.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning folks! 46 this morning IMBY, CVG checking in with 47. If you still need to mow you should be good until the late afternoon or evening hours. I will go with 0.10 to 0.25" of rain for most locations. Rain will end before sunrise tomorrow. A cooler day for Wed and Thurs but dry with highs in the 60ish zone for Wed and in the mid 60s Thurs. Patchy frost is possible Thurs morning as the mid and upper 30s are expected.

By Friday, a warm front still is forecast to enter the picture with a shot for rain / t-storms as temps get into the low 70s. We will rise further into the 70s on Sat with an early morning and late day storm possible. Coverage is not very good. More to the West, less to the East. I think we are all dry on Sunday as we remain capped in the warm sector. Low 80s looks good for now so a toasty day expected. Showers and t-storms move in Sun night and Monday of next week. We'll have to see the timing of that front to see if any severe wx can get involved. It is too early to know right now.

Finally.... in the longer term, the active pattern continues right on into early May as well as decent temps. I think after Thursday we are all systems go for planting. What do you guys think about that? I think we are done with the frost threats after Thurs morning.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Tropics update: ElNino hanging on by a thread. MJO is lost at sea.

IMG_1701.jpeg
IMG_1700.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

From what I can tell in the extended range is that the mean trough will start to set up across the Pacific NW as the Bermuda high or SE ridge starts to get pumped up. This leads to a warmer pattern for us and an active one as well. Timing of each system will determine if there is any severe wx or not. For now... I think the severe threat stays to our West. Early next week will have to be watched though as we could get into the game ourselves should the timing of that cold front work out with peak heating.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

44 officially at CVG this morning.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Currently 50 here in G'ville and progged for around 62.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

No changes from the 12Z GFS. I think that the post I made from early this morning still looks good. It'll take a while for the rain to reach the ground since dews are in the U30s. I am thinking sometime in that 6-9pm window we are fair game for the rain to begin. First in the NW, latest in the SE.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The latest thinking from the boys as of about 20 mins ago:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
A surface low is centered near the northern shore of Lake
Superior, with a surface high over the southeastern US. A broad
warm sector is in place across the Ohio Valley, with boundary
layer SSW flow, and deep mixing expected in a relatively dry
air mass.

Ongoing forecast looks mainly on track. Have made some slight
upward adjustments to winds, and downward adjustments to
dewpoints, but no significant changes were made. Precip timing
ahead of the initial wave is appearing slightly slower on recent
model runs, so overall timing in the forecast was slowed by an
hour or two.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 66, DAY 65 and CMH 67 today.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

68 here today, currently at 66 with a dew of 42. Rain will be on the increase over the next few hours. Not much else to discuss attm that we have not already talked about lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page