March 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: March 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Due to clouds, ILN has backed off highs into the U50s. We knew that was a risk since we've discussed it on here already. I think the best chance to get 0.10" or more will be tonight along and SE of I-71.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:48 am Due to clouds, ILN has backed off highs into the U50s. We knew that was a risk since we've discussed it on here already. I think the best chance to get 0.10" or more will be tonight along and SE of I-71.
Hey Les and I thought the mid-upper 50's was the most likely outcome but again if the clouds could have broke that is where the forecast could have been a bust. Still going with the .10-.25 and though most places will be closer to the .10 sometimes with the front coming through you can get a little uptick in rainfall for a couple of hours. Exactly where that is becomes more of a now cast. We decided to stay home instead of going to Wisconsin and though I would love to see the snow we wanted to go up there when we could work in the yard and be outside. Looks like a good 2-4 up there and bigger concern is Sunday for them and possible 6-10 inches before it my become mixed on Monday.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:15 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:48 am Due to clouds, ILN has backed off highs into the U50s. We knew that was a risk since we've discussed it on here already. I think the best chance to get 0.10" or more will be tonight along and SE of I-71.
Hey Les and I thought the mid-upper 50's was the most likely outcome but again if the clouds could have broke that is where the forecast could have been a bust. Still going with the .10-.25 and though most places will be closer to the .10 sometimes with the front coming through you can get a little uptick in rainfall for a couple of hours. Exactly where that is becomes more of a now cast. We decided to stay home instead of going to Wisconsin and though I would love to see the snow we wanted to go up there when we could work in the yard and be outside. Looks like a good 2-4 up there and bigger concern is Sunday for them and possible 6-10 inches before it my become mixed on Monday.
Oh man... you might be missing a good one although the best snows will probably fall to your west over MN. Anyway... the rain locally is light as we are still saturating. Our best window will be this evening / overnight and even then a tenth of an inch is going to be best case scenario with this system.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:19 pm
Oh man... you might be missing a good one although the best snows will probably fall to your west over MN. Anyway... the rain locally is light as we are still saturating. Our best window will be this evening / overnight and even then a tenth of an inch is going to be best case scenario with this system.
They are talking 10-25 in Minnesota but 6-10 would be a nice amount to see
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:21 pm
No doubt! Coming from where we live, a 6" snowfall is like a dream come true! You have to get a foot plus for northern folks to even bat an eye. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I made it to 52 today. Had a hundredth for rain... pretty much so far what I figured. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

IMG_1597.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I've dropped to 49 here and so has CVG. Nice temp contrast too! Shorts and flip-flops in West / SKY.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Brrr, seems like we’re in a pattern where we can’t get a nice weekends worth of weather. Looks like Tuesdays precip is going to be in the .50-1.00” range regionally. Not concerned with severe storms for our area, the return flow for the OV remains weak atm and the warm temps/DPs combo still doesn’t look impressive .
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:15 am Brrr, seems like we’re in a pattern where we can’t get a nice weekends worth of weather. Looks like Tuesdays precip is going to be in the .50-1.00” range regionally. Not concerned with severe storms for our area, the return flow for the OV remains weak atm and the warm temps/DPs combo still doesn’t look impressive .
I agree 100p/c Bgoney as the storm itself is well to the northwest and the flow from the GOM is directed further west. Nice late season snowstorm for the plains and upper midwest which is not unusual for them. I know in Wausau after 3.5 inches yesterday they are only sitting at over 23 inches for the season though 6-10 is expected later Sunday and Monday. The average up there for this time of year is 55 inches so way behind
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'm also in agreement with no severe wx for next week. That will be more for the Southern states / Gulf Coast. I'd like an inch of rain but a half inch is better then what we've been seeing recently.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:26 pm
No doubt! Coming from where we live, a 6" snowfall is like a dream come true! You have to get a foot plus for northern folks to even bat an eye. :lol:
Hi Les,

My folks and I have a pastor friend here in Greenville who is a Minnesota native and he said for winter storms in the OV that he would never cancel a service unless 2 feet / Level 3 criteria! :lol: ;)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 51, DAY 48 and CMH 45 on Fri.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Trends from 12z are an even weaker return flow of moisture into the OV. Makes sense since the cutting low is so far NW and the low off the SEcoast essentially is cutting off moisture return into our region (or a lack of a SEridge ). Not changing any amounts yet but expect to lower amounts if trends continue overnight
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG got to 45 and both DAY / CMH 41 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:07 pm Trends from 12z are an even weaker return flow of moisture into the OV. Makes sense since the cutting low is so far NW and the low off the SEcoast essentially is cutting off moisture return into our region (or a lack of a SEridge ). Not changing any amounts yet but expect to lower amounts if trends continue overnight
Good Morning and I agree Bgoney about the moisture return. Looks like another under performer and going with .25-.50. By the end of the month 1/4 of the year is gone and precip wise we will be just about normal and temp wise about 4 degrees above normal. Next 3 months of course is so important for the growing season and hopefully we can at least get the normal amount of precip before summer takes over. Good thing is the central and northern plains are getting some rain and snow and though it won't wipe out the drought it will help some. I know my son is expecting 6-10 inches of snow and he is on the border of the heavier snow as the airport is south of the city and he lives just northwest of Wausau. I know the snow is expected to change to rain on Monday so hopefully with the snow melt and a decent rain some of the ponds up there try and recoup as the winter has not been kind compared to normal.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:23 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:26 pm

Hi Les,

My folks and I have a pastor friend here in Greenville who is a Minnesota native and he said for winter storms in the OV that he would never cancel a service unless 2 feet / Level 3 criteria! :lol: ;)
March of 2008 was probably the last time he closed then minus for the Covid Pandemic. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! 28 here this morning and at CVG. Going to mow for the first time of the new season this afternoon once it warms up a bit. Just got home from taking Mom to Church and out for breakfast.

I agree with Tim and Bgoney of lowering amounts. Now, we are hoping to see a half inch and will be happy if get into that 0.25 to 0.40" range. Models are now looking dry after that system until Easter where we get a cold front. Not good for my Brother's kids Easter Egg Hunt this year at the house. I'd rather hide 80 some eggs outside versus inside if I can help it. Each kid has their own color so they don't hog or fight over someone else's. We've learned widely over the years. :lol: We'll see how the timing goes. Euro has a warm front coming in the late afternoon period so the first half of the day or so would be good. GFS has a cold front much earlier coming in which would not be so good. Plenty of time to see how everything shakes out.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:11 am Good morning all! 28 here this morning and at CVG. Going to mow for the first time of the new season this afternoon once it warms up a bit. Just got home from taking Mom to Church and out for breakfast.

I agree with Tim and Bgoney of lowering amounts. Now, we are hoping to see a half inch and will be happy if get into that 0.25 to 0.40" range. Models are now looking dry after that system until Easter where we get a cold front. Not good for my Brother's kids Easter Egg Hunt this year at the house. I'd rather hide 80 some eggs outside versus inside if I can help it. Each kid has their own color so they don't hog or fight over someone else's. We've learned widely over the years. :lol: We'll see how the timing goes. Euro has a warm front coming in the late afternoon period so the first half of the day or so would be good. GFS has a cold front much earlier coming in which would not be so good. Plenty of time to see how everything shakes out.
Les I hope you have a wonderful time with the kids. I remember when I was a kid we had relatives in Petersburg and down by the river the ground is very sandy. Of course no such thing as plastic eggs so they would be buried quite often in the sand. Of course back then we would tackle somebody to get the next egg lol. We even hid them for the adults at the time and that was fun to watch. Of course the few days after Easter we would dust off the sand and eat the eggs.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:30 am
tron777 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:11 am Good morning all! 28 here this morning and at CVG. Going to mow for the first time of the new season this afternoon once it warms up a bit. Just got home from taking Mom to Church and out for breakfast.

Les I hope you have a wonderful time with the kids. I remember when I was a kid we had relatives in Petersburg and down by the river the ground is very sandy. Of course no such thing as plastic eggs so they would be buried quite often in the sand. Of course back then we would tackle somebody to get the next egg lol. We even hid them for the adults at the time and that was fun to watch. Of course the few days after Easter we would dust off the sand and eat the eggs.
I have found eggs while mowing months later that I forgot where I hid it, or one of the kids never found it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Les,

Re Easter eggs, what are Harper, Colton and Cooper's favorite colors? :) I remember as a kid when we'd alternate grandparents visits at Easter and at my maternal grandmother's house my sister, myself, and some cousins would dye eggs and also use special crayons to print someone's name on an egg. :) One year my sister and I got a medium sized chocolate bunny and one year we got some bunny puppets. :) Jellybeans and marshmallow chicks always a big hit, too! :)

I went to an Amish supermarket recently with my folks called Fountain Acres in Fountain City, IN not far from Richmond and a medium sized coconut and / or peanut butter filled egg was priced at near $9!! :o
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:37 am

Les,

Re Easter eggs, what are Harper, Colton and Cooper's favorite colors? :) I remember as a kid when we'd alternate grandparents visits at Easter and at my maternal grandmother's house my sister, myself, and some cousins would dye eggs and also use special crayons to print someone's name on an egg. :) One year my sister and I got a medium sized chocolate bunny and one year we got some bunny puppets. :) Jellybeans and marshmallow chicks always a big hit, too! :)

I went to an Amish supermarket recently with my folks called Fountain Acres in Fountain City, IN not far from Richmond and a medium sized coconut and / or peanut butter filled egg was priced at near $9!! :o
I'm not sure Eric but Harper's eggs are pink, Colton's blue, and Cooper's are green. They each get 24 eggs of their own color to find then there are 6 golden eggs two for each kid that are bonus eggs. They may contain large amounts of candy or money. My YouTube channel LesLovesSnow has past Easter Egg Hunts with the kids and some other things too with them. They love pulling up my channel to watch themselves. :lol: My Mom (they call her Mamaw) will have an Easter basket filled with candy and toys also in addition to all of the plastic eggs filled with candy. My Mom spoils them so much as a Grandparent should.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z NAM gives us 0.25" and around 0.50" from the 12Z GFS. This is for Mon night and Tues. SPC has issued a marginal risk for severe wx on Tuesday as well. So we will see what happens there.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day3otlk.html
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lawn is mowed and looks good again. Will try and get it done again before Easter so it looks good for the fam. ;) 49 degrees currently here. A lunar eclipse occurs tonight I think?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:02 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:37 am

Les,

I'm not sure Eric but Harper's eggs are pink, Colton's blue, and Cooper's are green. They each get 24 eggs of their own color to find then there are 6 golden eggs two for each kid that are bonus eggs. They may contain large amounts of candy or money. My YouTube channel LesLovesSnow has past Easter Egg Hunts with the kids and some other things too with them. They love pulling up my channel to watch themselves. :lol: My Mom (they call her Mamaw) will have an Easter basket filled with candy and toys also in addition to all of the plastic eggs filled with candy. My Mom spoils them so much as a Grandparent should.
Fun to relive those memories indeed Bro! 8-) Also fun to relive vicariously through kids today on those special treasured childhood memories! :heart: 8-)

Harper, Colton and Cooper, you and other family members are truly Blessed Bro and of course you know that already! :) Its great that they can have that treasure trove of Youtube memories to enjoy and love again and again! 8-)

Currently 45 here in G'ville and progged for around 49 today. :sunny: