March 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: March 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:58 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:24 am A cool morning in the U20s to L30sacross the area. A few snow showers are still possible this afternoon and evening. No issues are expected. A seasonal week temp wise in thew 40s and 50s for highs, with the 20s and 30s for lows. Not much precip until we get towards Friday and even that system is looking week.

The week after next looks busy with rain / t-storms sometime in the 25-26th range then another system around the 28th or so. An early look at Easter and if nothing changes, we look good. Nice and dry with highs 65 to 70 is my current prelim call.
I expect to see some reports of thunder/lightning today. We will have some CAPE to work with given the temperature differential between the surface and aloft.

Best coverage of show showers will be north and northeast of town but I think many areas locally will see some flakes at some point today.
Could be the last flakes of the season potentially until Fall. I will enjoy every flake I see!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:59 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:24 am A cool morning in the U20s to L30sacross the area. A few snow showers are still possible this afternoon and evening. No issues are expected. A seasonal week temp wise in thew 40s and 50s for highs, with the 20s and 30s for lows. Not much precip until we get towards Friday and even that system is looking week.

The week after next looks busy with rain / t-storms sometime in the 25-26th range then another system around the 28th or so. An early look at Easter and if nothing changes, we look good. Nice and dry with highs 65 to 70 is my current prelim call.
I expect to see some reports of thunder/lightning today. We will have some CAPE to work with given the temperature differential between the surface and aloft.

Best coverage of show showers will be north and northeast of town but I think many areas locally will see some flakes at some point today.
Could be the last flakes of the season potentially until Fall. I will enjoy every flake I see!
Hrrr looks solid today!
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:00 am

Hrrr looks solid today!
It does! Even my hood gets some snow shower activity and usually I get missed when the flow is off of Michigan. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:03 am
Trevor wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:00 am

Hrrr looks solid today!
It does! Even my hood gets some snow shower activity and usually I get missed when the flow is off of Michigan. :lol:
Just made a FB post with some model graphics.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Hopefully, too, a dry Opening Day for the Redlegs on the 28th and if not then hopefully any precip holding off until near sunset / sunset and beyond for their 4:10 vs the Nationals along with the parade beforehand.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:05 am

Hopefully, too, a dry Opening Day for the Redlegs on the 28th and if not then hopefully any precip holding off until near sunset / sunset and beyond for their 4:10 vs the Nationals along with the parade beforehand.
Current GFS has a front passing thru very early morning of Opening Day so likely a cool but dry day if that model run ends up being correct.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

SnowTalk!

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

From the boys as of 9:03am:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
Already seeing some light snow showers across the area this
morning and expect these to increase in coverage through the
afternoon as low level lapse rates increase. This will be
enhanced by a fetch off of Lake Michigan. We will remain cold
today with highs only in the upper 30s to lower 40s. Some
visibility restrictions and brief light accumulations on grassy
surfaces will be possible with some of the heavier snow
showers.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and my eyes are deceiving me as some kind of white stuff is falling from the sky and blowing across the street. Will need to go outside to see what this strange item happens to be. Will report later.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:10 pm Good Afternoon and my eyes are deceiving me as some kind of white stuff is falling from the sky and blowing across the street. Will need to go outside to see what this strange item happens to be. Will report later.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen a few flakes here in Mason too... and no I am not talking about drivers on I-71 either. ;)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

34 for the high so far at CVG and that was at the 11am reading. Back down to 32 with light snow as of the 12pm reading. Impressive for 3/18!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

At CVG, it is now down to 31 as of 1pm with snow pellets being reported.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

20-30 degrees warmer in northern plains and Canada

IMG_1574.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The actual high at CVG today will probably come at midnight last night. That is when my high occurred which was 36. I only got to 34 during the actual day today. CVG is likely going to be similar. A cool week ahead but nothing out of the ordinary for March. Still thinking light rain for Friday so I will go less then 0.25" from this early distance. Heavier rainfall and more active conditions will resume next week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:31 pm The actual high at CVG today will probably come at midnight last night. That is when my high occurred which was 36. I only got to 34 during the actual day today. CVG is likely going to be similar. A cool week ahead but nothing out of the ordinary for March. Still thinking light rain for Friday so I will go less then 0.25" from this early distance. Heavier rainfall and more active conditions will resume next week.
Yep , still going with dryer than normal the next 7-10 days but of course not rain -free. The OV is still last to get a good return flow out of the GOM
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:47 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:31 pm The actual high at CVG today will probably come at midnight last night. That is when my high occurred which was 36. I only got to 34 during the actual day today. CVG is likely going to be similar. A cool week ahead but nothing out of the ordinary for March. Still thinking light rain for Friday so I will go less then 0.25" from this early distance. Heavier rainfall and more active conditions will resume next week.
Yep , still going with dryer than normal the next 7-10 days but of course not rain -free. The OV is still last to get a good return flow out of the GOM
I was originally (like 3 or 4 days ago) was expecting a little more for Friday but as of at least 2 days ago, that is no longer looking to be the case. Those two systems won't be phasing so we are kind of in no man's land again.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Just had a nice snow shower move thru. Snowed nicely for about 10 mis then it was over lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Talking to my son in Wisconsin and the lack of snow has been a concern for farmers up there. Many farms have so many ponds that collect water and the snow melt in spring is huge. The problem is more than lack of snow but the mild temps up there has also caused these ponds to lose water as well because they have not been frozen. Hopefully over the next 2 months or so they get in on some decent rain and even snow events to help out this spring. Economy is geared towards winter sports and the snow slope near him has been closed much of the season and even to warm to make snow which sounds like what we get around here quite often but they rely on the Nov-Feb period for many folks to make money.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning! A chilly morning in the 20s out there but some sunshine will allow us to tickle 50 today. In the 50s, tomorrow then the 40s on Thurs behind a dry cold frontal passage. Another night in the 20s as well. Then, a small rain chance on Friday then we get wet next week!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

SPS for elevated fire danger today:

...ELEVATED FIRE DANGER TODAY...

Gusty southwest winds of 25 to 35 mph can be expected today. The
winds will combine with dry conditions to result in an increased
fire danger this afternoon. Outdoor burning is not recommended as
any fire could grow out of control under these conditions.

$$
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

A nice and chilly start to the day. Les you have everything covered and how much rain do we get late this week and I agree with you maybe 1/4 inch as the systems seem to merge east of us once again. Two big snows coming for my son over the next week which is good and bad news. Good news they need any type of precip but the kids go on spring break next week which could see snow on the ground all week
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:33 am A nice and chilly start to the day. Les you have everything covered and how much rain do we get late this week and I agree with you maybe 1/4 inch as the systems seem to merge east of us once again. Two big snows coming for my son over the next week which is good and bad news. Good news they need any type of precip but the kids go on spring break next week which could see snow on the ground all week
My Brothers kids with the Milford school district are on Spring Break next week. My Brother is hoping to find a few days to take them fishing but the active pattern next week may have a say in that.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

26 officially this morning at CVG.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:11 am 26 officially this morning at CVG.

DP is so low I didn’t see any frost on my way in . That will lessen the severity of bloom kill, although some damage undoubtedly occurred. Won’t know for a couple days the extent
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:49 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:11 am 26 officially this morning at CVG.

DP is so low I didn’t see any frost on my way in . That will lessen the severity of bloom kill, although some damage undoubtedly occurred. Won’t know for a couple days the extent
I noticed the lack of frost too this morning. We have a few more cold nights to go. Wed night will be in the 20s. Thurs night will be close to freezing, will probably be okay. Then another night in the 20s is due in for Sat night.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page