Re: Monday April 8th Solar Eclipse

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:30 pm Just got the invitation from my neighbor who has a cabin in Brown County, Indiana for the time period April 6th-9th. Sure we will have full advantage of the event but also a nice 3 day party with some of the neighbors. Should be a blast.
That is awesome Tim! PRAY for clear skies. Statistically speaking, in early April, we are cloudy 67% of the time.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:34 pm
tpweather wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:30 pm Just got the invitation from my neighbor who has a cabin in Brown County, Indiana for the time period April 6th-9th. Sure we will have full advantage of the event but also a nice 3 day party with some of the neighbors. Should be a blast.
That is awesome Tim! PRAY for clear skies. Statistically speaking, in early April, we are cloudy 67% of the time.
Exactly Les and with the added bonus of beer and whatever wonderful drinks that are being served my cloudiness probably closer to 90p/c lol
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:13 pm
Exactly Les and with the added bonus of beer and whatever wonderful drinks that are being served my cloudiness probably closer to 90p/c lol
No doubt! Sounds like it will be a blast! If we do have clear skies, please have either you, or someone from your group take a pic, get it to you, so you can share it with us from the totality area. Honestly, that goes for all forum members lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:24 am
tpweather wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:13 pm
No doubt! Sounds like it will be a blast! If we do have clear skies, please have either you, or someone from your group take a pic, get it to you, so you can share it with us from the totality area. Honestly, that goes for all forum members lol
I will gladly take pics and the last full eclipse I remember seeing was back in the early 70's. One of the neighbors went to western Kentucky 7 years ago and saw that eclipse and said it was wonderful to see.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tim... I remember with the last one how cool it was to see even only being in the 90-95% totality range. Even though I am not in the area of totality this go around, 97-99% should still be pretty cool. It must be so awesome to be in the area of totality though, wow! What a gorgeous, once in a lifetime event!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

It’s probably been posted already , but don’t skimp on the eclipse glasses. Make sure they are certified. Look for the following number on your solar glasses: ISO 12312-2. That means the glasses have met the international standard for safely observing the eclipse.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:19 am It’s probably been posted already , but don’t skimp on the eclipse glasses. Make sure they are certified. Look for the following number on your solar glasses: ISO 12312-2. That means the glasses have met the international standard for safely observing the eclipse.
Agreed! I've already been reading of online scammers selling fake glasses.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Some eclipse info and climo from the boys:

https://www.weather.gov/iln/20240408_Eclipse
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Thank you for that advice, Bgoney! :thumbupleft:
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

Looks like you can get a lot of these at Walmart ranging from $6 to $200...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

One good thing about the eclipse is that they are allowing us to work from home on that day due to traffic tie up's and traffic concerns. One less day I'll have to make that drive. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Here soon, once models get in that 7-10 day range, we can start tracking cloud cover and / or precip chances for the big day. We really only care about the afternoon period to be honest.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 pm One good thing about the eclipse is that they are allowing us to work from home on that day due to traffic tie up's and traffic concerns. One less day I'll have to make that drive. :lol:
Sounds great Bro! :)

Maybe your boss will let you all just work a half day to have the afternoon free for the big event. 8-)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

The Redlegs host a 6:40 vs the Brew Crew on Eclipse Day. I hate to even think of the traffic pandemonium for both a sky show and ballgame that same afternoon / early evening. ;) Clogging on the '75 e.g. etc.!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Should be a great time and hope the weather holds up. Will be in a cabin in Brown County,Indiana starting at noon on Saturday until Tuesday morning. Have 8 folks up there with plenty of food,drink,games and wait for the big event.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:18 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 pm One good thing about the eclipse is that they are allowing us to work from home on that day due to traffic tie up's and traffic concerns. One less day I'll have to make that drive. :lol:
Sounds great Bro! :)

Maybe your boss will let you all just work a half day to have the afternoon free for the big event. 8-)
No it's a regular day. I get off at 3 right when the good stuff starts anyway lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:12 pm Here soon, once models get in that 7-10 day range, we can start tracking cloud cover and / or precip chances for the big day. We really only care about the afternoon period to be honest.
I'm going to play the negative Nellie for now as the latest trends on the GFS keeps the progressive pattern with rain and 2 days of clouds followed by 2 days of sun, rinse and repeat! Besides, stats show 60% chance of clouds for that time of year! Hope the model trends give us sun at least for that afternoon otherwise it will be a VERY dark cloudy afternoon. :tappingfoot:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:20 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:12 pm Here soon, once models get in that 7-10 day range, we can start tracking cloud cover and / or precip chances for the big day. We really only care about the afternoon period to be honest.
I'm going to play the negative Nellie for now as the latest trends on the GFS keeps the progressive pattern with rain and 2 days of clouds followed by 2 days of sun, rinse and repeat! Besides, stats show 60% chance of clouds for that time of year! Hope the model trends give us sun at least for that afternoon otherwise it will be a VERY dark cloudy afternoon. :tappingfoot:
We just need clear skies for a few hours say between 12 or 1pm thru about 3:30pm give or take.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:22 am
We just need clear skies for a few hours say between 12 or 1pm thru about 3:30pm give or take.
I just thought of something, a lot of times when we have cloudy days it clears out when the sun sets, well the sun will be shadowed by the moon that afternoon and clearing can happen. I know, I'm getting ahead of myself here!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:30 am
I just thought of something, a lot of times when we have cloudy days it clears out when the sun sets, well the sun will be shadowed by the moon that afternoon and clearing can happen. I know, I'm getting ahead of myself here!
We'll see Joe! What I also like is monitoring the temp drop. It'll be fun watching my weather station at home rising as it always does, then falling once the eclipse gets underway. Then temps will rise again once it is finished. I remember that happening with the last eclipse 4 years ago.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:57 am
We'll see Joe! What I also like is monitoring the temp drop. It'll be fun watching my weather station at home rising as it always does, then falling once the eclipse gets underway. Then temps will rise again once it is finished. I remember that happening with the last eclipse 4 years ago.
Les, I remember that too! Also, some of the wildlife get all confused...The birds think it's time to go to sleep! :lol:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:04 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:57 am

Les, I remember that too! Also, some of the wildlife get all confused...The birds think it's time to go to sleep! :lol:
Right! Our nighttime critters, like raccoons, may think it is feeding time and they could potentially come out. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Hi Bgoney,

I want to again thank you very much bro for that advice re certified eclipse glasses. :) My Dad and I attended a meeting that was led by a New Madison, OH Public Library employee here at the Brethren Ret. Community where my folks and I reside. :) During a lull in her presentation as she entered the portion of the program re eclipse eyeglasses, I mentioned about that ISO 12312-2 certification and she was grateful and also a bit surprised to hear that bit of info as she may have eventually covered that part of the conversation herself. I am sure that about the 20+ others who were there for it were also grateful. :) Thankfully these that were given out do meet the certified requirements as Dad and I are ready for the big sky show day! 8-)

I told my folks that if not for a weather friend near Cincinnati that I would have never thought about the international certification standard for approved eclipse glasses. :thumbupleft: That is one of the reasons I love about our Absolute Vorticity Community Family!! **FIST BUMP** 8-)
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

That’s awesome Eric !!!! . Pivotal has a new feature on their cloud cover feature with the eclipse path on it. A long ways to go but atm showing lots of clouds for that region
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 am That’s awesome Eric !!!! . Pivotal has a new feature on their cloud cover feature with the eclipse path on it. A long ways to go but atm showing lots of clouds for that region
Prayerfully **knocking on wood** the forecast will improve for that day as time goes on, bro. :thumbupright:

Someone asked the public library guest yesterday after the meeting when the next total solar eclipse would be in our part of the country and the answer is 2099! :o ;) :lol: