El Nino, The 2023-2024 Winter, and You!

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: El Nino, The 2023-2024 Winter, and You!

Post by tpweather »

Hey Les and it seems during the last week the El Nino has sort of stopped getting stronger and maybe a bit further west with the warmer waters. Maybe its my eyes or maybe because I was not expecting a strong El Nino and more wishful thinking, Still no sold on the stronger one yet but in a few weeks this should play out more and have a much better ideal if it has already peaked or getting stronger.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:31 am Hey Les and it seems during the last week the El Nino has sort of stopped getting stronger and maybe a bit further west with the warmer waters. Maybe its my eyes or maybe because I was not expecting a strong El Nino and more wishful thinking, Still no sold on the stronger one yet but in a few weeks this should play out more and have a much better ideal if it has already peaked or getting stronger.
The Nino's forcing is a bit west which is good, but it is still East Based and it is trying to strengthen just a bit at this time. In fact, the GFS is showing a very pronounced WWB coming (if the model is to be believed anyway).

GFS WWB.gif

The good news though is I think that the warmest anomalies are trying to shift more to the West. We need to see how things go over the next month as there is still time before winter starts for this El Nino to continue to morph and change. This isn't the worst look in the world that I have seen, but it still needs some work.

TAO Triton.gif
Upper Heat Anom.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

October's 30 MB QBO reading is in: -16.98. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:23 pm October's 30 MB QBO reading is in: -16.98. :)
I don’t think we want it much more negative for the winter months, anything in the -20s from what I remember over the years
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:23 pm October's 30 MB QBO reading is in: -16.98. :)
Les that is a big drop I believe and if we can keep that in the -25 - 15 I believe is a nice place to be and adding to post this kind of drop this time of year does look like a true El Nino with more ridging in the west and the STJ takes over for the most part.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:30 pm
I don’t think we want it much more negative for the winter months, anything in the -20s from what I remember over the years
Bgoney I agree and it seems once we get at -25 or so this does not bode well.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:58 pm
Bgoney wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:30 pm
Bgoney I agree and it seems once we get at -25 or so this does not bode well.
I'm with Tim... -15 to -25 is good with a strong El Nino in place.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Nothing surprising from the weekly ENSO update

IMG_0803.jpeg
IMG_0802.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Not at all, still primarily East Based with regards to the warmest anomalies. In other news.... Per the WCS website, the Daily PDO index has risen just a bit again.

PDO Index.png
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Snow and ice coverage map from yesterday. Remember, this is not snow depth or ice thickness, just showing actual coverage.

ims2023309.gif
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Haven’t been able to verify yet , but read where the MEI for SO was .30 . If so , this ElNino has a loooooong way to go to be significant
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:36 pm Haven’t been able to verify yet , but read where the MEI for SO was .30 . If so , this ElNino has a loooooong way to go to be significant
I can verify it. You are absolutely correct. The MEI has DROPPED. For AS it was at .60 It could be the +IOD and / or the -PDO helping to keep this Nino in check despite the warm SST's.

https://psl.noaa.gov/enso/mei/

mei_lifecycle_current.png.811d50a723169a2752e6defee1b6a23a.png
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:27 pm
Bgoney wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:36 pm Haven’t been able to verify yet , but read where the MEI for SO was .30 . If so , this ElNino has a loooooong way to go to be significant
I can verify it. You are absolutely correct. The MEI has DROPPED. For AS it was at .60 It could be the +IOD and / or the -PDO helping to keep this Nino in check despite the warm SST's.

https://psl.noaa.gov/enso/mei/

mei_lifecycle_current.png.811d50a723169a2752e6defee1b6a23a.png
Thanks Les. Your reasons make sense to me since one was at peak anomaly and the other fairly high during those 2 months
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Here is a look at Global SST anomalies as of 11/6. I haven't looked at it in the last week.

ssta.daily.current.png

The two things in the Pacific that stick out like a sore thumb to me is the El Nino of course and the very warm waters around Japan. Also on the Atlantic side a pocket of cool water off of Newfoundland. We'll see how things go I guess. I have made my winter time call already of a mild December, and a better pattern for cold and snow lovers in January and February aka a back loaded winter. With how this Nino has been behaving it is anyone's guess at this stage of the game. November is going to turn out well above avg despite what I thought a few months ago. I thought Nov was going to turn cold after the warm October we saw. But that is going to be wrong obviously.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

JB's winter forecast is out from Weather Bell. He thinks winter starts in mid Dec and is going with a cold DJF period. Quite the difference from my mild December then colder Jan / Feb thoughts. We'll see! Would love for JB to be right for once of course. :lol:

https://www.weatherbell.com/winter-seasonal-forecast
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Les you and Bgoney have been talking about many things that JB has in his post. I believe its going to be a nice winter though the worse area I believe is just east of here and expecting the mid-Atlantic and Northeast to not only get the cold but a few huge storms. So I do like the call of the mjo phase he mentioned. Last year was horrible in phase 4-6 so if we can stay in the 7-1 that no doubt will help. So having a mild November is fine and we already had a taste of the cold in October which is a good sign as well. Timing is always tough and again I do believe we turn colder later this month but not sure it holds and we may need a SSW event to really keep the cold going and that is probably closer to the Christmas period.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

I expected nothing less from JB than a wire to wire winter
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:46 am Les you and Bgoney have been talking about many things that JB has in his post. I believe its going to be a nice winter though the worse area I believe is just east of here and expecting the mid-Atlantic and Northeast to not only get the cold but a few huge storms. So I do like the call of the mjo phase he mentioned. Last year was horrible in phase 4-6 so if we can stay in the 7-1 that no doubt will help. So having a mild November is fine and we already had a taste of the cold in October which is a good sign as well. Timing is always tough and again I do believe we turn colder later this month but not sure it holds and we may need a SSW event to really keep the cold going and that is probably closer to the Christmas period.
2009 is being thrown around as an analog and we had a very warm November then. We turned colder in December and we all know how awesome Feb 2010 was for CVG. :) We'll see... I continue to hammer the point of conflicting signals out there and will continue to do so. An El Nino with a Nina background state is the Pacific side (+IOD and -PDO) so we must have the blocking in the AO and NAO domains that we saw in 2009 or else it will be another mild winter. I am banking on blocking episodes as well. A +PNA is typical with El Ninos so that will help too. I just hope we don't have a raging -PNA again with troughs digging all the way down into the Baja like we saw last year esp in December. :banghead:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:59 am I expected nothing less from JB than a wire to wire winter
It's the same forecast every year. Click bait... :lol: Hope to see the blind squirrel catch a nut. One of these times he will be right of course.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:59 am I expected nothing less from JB than a wire to wire winter
No doubt JB goes to the colder side in the winter but when he flops he admits the forecast was wrong and also explains why his thoughts were incorrect. I thought his maps this season were quite tame though I believe with the temps in an El Nino you must be careful because you can really have some warm days that counteract a period of colder weather.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I agree Tim! Just about every winter we have a lot of up's and down's in our region. It's just the way the weather works around here. Always has, always will. In other news... The TN Valley and SE US are in a very severe drought right now with numerous wildfires ongoing. Rain is desperately needed in those areas and right now, the future isn't looking so good. Hope to see that change in the next couple of weeks as we've been discussing on here. With an El Nino they should be getting wet but we are still seeing a Nina like pattern at this time.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:24 am I agree Tim! Just about every winter we have a lot of up's and down's in our region. It's just the way the weather works around here. Always has, always will. In other news... The TN Valley and SE US are in a very severe drought right now with numerous wildfires ongoing. Rain is desperately needed in those areas and right now, the future isn't looking so good. Hope to see that change in the next couple of weeks as we've been discussing on here. With an El Nino they should be getting wet but we are still seeing a Nina like pattern at this time.
We may have to wait till January to see the effects of a Nino, we had this past Nina for a long time (3 years). Last time I believe was in the early 70's and transitioned into a Nino by the mid to late 70's and we saw what happened then! :) So, if this Nino takes hold again next winter it's effects should take hold more. Of course, the mid to late 70's had other factors going on that helped with our block buster winters!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:59 am
tron777 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:24 am I agree Tim! Just about every winter we have a lot of up's and down's in our region. It's just the way the weather works around here. Always has, always will. In other news... The TN Valley and SE US are in a very severe drought right now with numerous wildfires ongoing. Rain is desperately needed in those areas and right now, the future isn't looking so good. Hope to see that change in the next couple of weeks as we've been discussing on here. With an El Nino they should be getting wet but we are still seeing a Nina like pattern at this time.
We may have to wait till January to see the effects of a Nino, we had this past Nina for a long time (3 years). Last time I believe was in the early 70's and transitioned into a Nino by the mid to late 70's and we saw what happened then! :) So, if this Nino takes hold again next winter it's effects should take hold more. Of course, the mid to late 70's had other factors going on that helped with our block buster winters!
Agreed Joe. That is why I said a mild December then colder for Jan and Feb.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:00 am
Les, I still remember the strong Nino's from the 1982-83 and 1991-92 winters that were just awful. Hoping for a least a moderate Nino that is west based and with other helpful factors that were mentioned on this thread. I'm so ready for a decent winter for once! :bouncygreen:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:27 am
tron777 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:00 am
Les, I still remember the strong Nino's from the 1982-83 and 1991-92 winters that were just awful. Hoping for a least a moderate Nino that is west based and with other helpful factors that were mentioned on this thread. I'm so ready for a decent winter for once! :bouncygreen:
What's interesting also Joe is that despite the SST's pointing to an East Based El Nino, the forcing continues to be West of the dateline.

ForcingWWB.gif
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page