Invasive Lanternflies

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Invasive Lanternflies

Post by MVWxObserver »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Invasive Lanternflies

Post by tron777 »

I have seen news reports on them the last 2 years. I personally have never seen one yet. Have any of you?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:34 am I have seen news reports on them the last 2 years. I personally have never seen one yet. Have any of you?
I haven't seen one yet either Bro.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

This has been well known in the landscape industry for a couple years. It’s inevitable that they will spread. They have been know to lay eggs on almost everything including tractor trailers and train cars (( I’ve seen photos of this), so there is no stopping the spread. Just another invasive species of the endless list sent over from China
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:37 am This has been well known in the landscape industry for a couple years. It’s inevitable that they will spread. They have been know to lay eggs on almost everything including tractor trailers and train cars (( I’ve seen photos of this), so there is no stopping the spread. Just another invasive species of the endless list sent over from China
These things are killing trees I guess is the main issue? I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:17 am
Bgoney wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:37 am This has been well known in the landscape industry for a couple years. It’s inevitable that they will spread. They have been know to lay eggs on almost everything including tractor trailers and train cars (( I’ve seen photos of this), so there is no stopping the spread. Just another invasive species of the endless list sent over from China
These things are killing trees I guess is the main issue? I don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject.
Yea , they feed on the sap of trees and shrubs and unlike the Emerald Ash bore , they feed on an assortment of hardwood trees and shrubs and fruit industry trees and vines.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:23 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:17 am
Yea , they feed on the sap of trees and shrubs and unlike the Emerald Ash bore , they feed on an assortment of hardwood trees and shrubs and fruit industry trees and vines.
These are even worse then the Emerald Ash Bore. Great! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Just saw a report from the ODA in Cincinnati that nymphs were discovered. Didn’t give the exact location but it’s no surprise. They are here to stay