MLB 2023 Discussion

Sports Talk of all kinds!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

MLB 2023 Discussion

Post by MVWxObserver »

Since its March I thought I'd get this new baseball season topic started! :thumbupleft:

One of the highlights this year for the Redlegs is a 3 games set vs Les's Tigers at Detroit in mid September! 8-)

Opening Day for Cincy will be Thurs March 30th vs their Ohio River division rival Pirates. :)

Thurs March 30th (All Times ET)

Atl @ Was 1:05 pm

SF @ NYY 1:05 pm

Bal @ Bos 2:10 pm

Mil @ CHC 2:20 pm

Det @ TB 3:10 pm

Phi @ Tex 4:05 pm

Pit @ Cin 4:10 pm

Col @ SD 4:10 pm

Tor @ StL 4:10 pm

Min @ KC 4:10 pm

NYM @ Mia 4:10 pm

CWS @ Hou 7:08 pm

LAA @ Oak 10:07 pm

AZ @ LAD 10:10 pm

Cle @ Sea 10:10 pm
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: MLB 2023 Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Miggy's last year with Detroit and then he will be retiring. Hope My Tigers can get something done this year but I'm not expecting much. Ex Tiger Aces Max Scherzer and my boy JV are both with The Mets. I'd be shocked if they don't make the play off's and / or go to the World Series this year.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

https://www.whio.com/news/trending/yank ... Q53OW2GNI/

1960s Yankee great Joe Pepitone passed away at 82 on Mon. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tigers are playing their last spring training game today in Lakeland, FL. Thurs March 30th the guys start their 2023 season and last season with Miggy (he is retiring after this season is over). We begin with a 3 game series @ the Tampa Bay Rays on 3/30 at 3:10pm with Eduardo Rodriguez first pitch.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

The Redlegs have their last 2 spring training games today, too, playing the "Indians" and Rockies but what is confusing is their timetable proximity. :lol: ;) Home opener at the GABP is Thurs March 30th as the guys have a 3 game series vs the Pirates. Hunter Greene gets the call vs Mitch Keller at 4:10 Thurs.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Cincy starts the season with a 6 game series starting with 3 vs the Pirates.

The guys got edged 5-4 on Opening Day.

A day off Fri and then Nick Lodolo takes on Rich Hill at 4:10 Sat.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and the Reds lose and still not a fan of the manager. I love baseball and yes they needed to speed up the game somewhat. I believe they went overboard and need to adjust the amount of time for the next pitch. Also only 2 throws over to 1st base to keep a runner from trying to steal. Tell you the truth I had a hard time watching the game because of how quick everything was going. I know with the kids today baseball is not their sport because its not a place with non-stop action but it never was a game where you needed action all the time. Baseball was just a wonderful get away from everyday life and one where you can relax and bs with friends watching the game.

Baseball has other problems they need to address and that is only about 8-10 clubs can make the playoffs each year. This change to the amount of time between pitches is not bringing in new fans and you wonder why the NFL is so popular and that is every team has a chance to improve because of the draft and how its set up. Good Luck MLB but putting a band-aid on a wound is only a temporary fix and does not address bigger issues.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

My Tigers also got killed 4-0. Next game at Tampa is Sat afternoon at 4:10pm with Spencer Turnbull.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:16 am Good Morning and the Reds lose and still not a fan of the manager. I love baseball and yes they needed to speed up the game somewhat. I believe they went overboard and need to adjust the amount of time for the next pitch. Also only 2 throws over to 1st base to keep a runner from trying to steal. Tell you the truth I had a hard time watching the game because of how quick everything was going. I know with the kids today baseball is not their sport because its not a place with non-stop action but it never was a game where you needed action all the time. Baseball was just a wonderful get away from everyday life and one where you can relax and bs with friends watching the game.

Baseball has other problems they need to address and that is only about 8-10 clubs can make the playoffs each year. This change to the amount of time between pitches is not bringing in new fans and you wonder why the NFL is so popular and that is every team has a chance to improve because of the draft and how its set up. Good Luck MLB but putting a band-aid on a wound is only a temporary fix and does not address bigger issues.
It was like watching a baseball game at 1.5x speed. LOL Biggest issue IMO for MLB is the need for a salary cap like the NFL has. Of course with the players union as strong as it is, that would be next to impossible at this point. Maybe if they would have done it 20 years ago. As long as the big boys (Yanks, Dodgers, Giants, Mets) can spend freely there will always be a gap in the good/elite teams and the bottom of the barrel. Yeah I know of the luxury tax, but it's not keeping the biggest clubs from spending. Also need to get rid of the cheapskate owners and put folks in that care about winning.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:19 am
tpweather wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:16 am Good Morning and the Reds lose and still not a fan of the manager. I love baseball and yes they needed to speed up the game somewhat. I believe they went overboard and need to adjust the amount of time for the next pitch. Also only 2 throws over to 1st base to keep a runner from trying to steal. Tell you the truth I had a hard time watching the game because of how quick everything was going. I know with the kids today baseball is not their sport because its not a place with non-stop action but it never was a game where you needed action all the time. Baseball was just a wonderful get away from everyday life and one where you can relax and bs with friends watching the game.

It was like watching a baseball game at 1.5x speed. LOL Biggest issue IMO for MLB is the need for a salary cap like the NFL has. Of course with the players union as strong as it is, that would be next to impossible at this point. Maybe if they would have done it 20 years ago. As long as the big boys (Yanks, Dodgers, Giants, Mets) can spend freely there will always be a gap in the good/elite teams and the bottom of the barrel. Yeah I know of the luxury tax, but it's not keeping the biggest clubs from spending. Also need to get rid of the cheapskate owners and put folks in that care about winning.
That statement is the biggest issue plaguing most teams.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

cloudy72 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:19 am

I'm not a fan of ownership e.g. re Bob and Phil Castellini either.

Also don't like the new pitch clock rule e.g. etc.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Redlegs won their 1st game of the season this afternoon planking the Bucs 6-2! :)

Graham Ashcraft takes the mound vs Vince Velasquez at 1:40 Palm Sun.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tigers lose again to Tampa. We hope to avoid the broom at 1:10 pm today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

The guys took 2 of 3 from the Pirates as they won 3-1. :)

Next is a 3 game series vs the Cubbies to round out the home stand.

Connor Overton takes on Drew Smyly at 6:40 Mon.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We lost 5-1. We'll try and pick up our 1st win in HOU tonight at 8:10pm with Matthew Boyd.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tigers win their 1st game of the season in 11 innings 7-6! 8:10pm tonight for game 2 against the Stros. Matt Manning goes out there for the boys.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:36 am Tigers win their 1st game of the season in 11 innings 7-6! 8:10pm tonight for game 2 against the Stros. Matt Manning goes out there for the boys.
Congrats to your team on their 1st one Bro! :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

The guys got killed 12-5! :o

Hunter Greene takes on Marcus Stroman in a Business Day Special rubber match at 12:35 Wed.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tigers win 6-3! Next one is 2:10pm this afternoon as Eduardo Rodriguez takes the mound.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Game ppd and will be made up on Fri Sept 1st at 1:10.

Next is a 6 game series road trip starting with 3 @ the Phillies.

Nick Lodolo squares away vs Zack Wheeler at 3:05 Thurs.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tigers are down 6-2 BOT 8th so safe it to say we have lose this one. Rubber match tomorrow afternoon at 1:10pm with Spencer Turnbull.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

For the 2nd day in a row, Thurs will also be a ppd game as Philly hosts Cincy in the Phillies home opener on Good Fri.

Hunter Greene squares away vs Zack Wheeler at 3:05.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

The guys lost 5-2 this afternoon.

Nick Lodolo takes on Bailey Falter at 4:05 Sat.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

So after leading 1-0 into the 9th Cincy found a way to blow it and got edged 3-2! :x :(

Rubber match at 1:05 Easter Sun as Connor Overton squares away vs Taijuan Walker.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Redlegs avoided being swept and beat the Phillies 6-4! :)

Next is a 3 game series vs the Braves to round out the road trip.

Graham Ashcraft takes on Bryce Elder at 7:20 Mon.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.