Decorah Eagles

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Decorah Eagles

Post by tron777 »

Gina, Please try and recover any links you have please and post in this thread, thanks!

I have this one:

https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/

Please continue our discussion of the Bald Eagles in this thread like we did on the old board.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

WxMom
Rain Shower

Re: Decorah Eagles

Post by WxMom »

Ah Les!!! Thank you for getting this thread going again! You have the best link posted to follow the eagles. I've been slacking on following them this year but will work on that!!
This year, the nest we have always watched appears to be abandoned and the parents have built a new nest, no camera. So, the 2 eagles we've watched over the years will only be viewed from a distance, if that. Observations indicate that at least one egg has been laid in the new nest. But...the Decorah North nest has 2 eggs, laid Feb 16 and Feb 19. So far, things going well there. Estimated hatch is 24 days from today. Here is the link to that nest:

https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams ... orth-nest/

So, it's a different year with the main nest inactive and what's now being called N3 being out of view and no camera. But we can watch the north nest and I just looked there and either Mom or Dad are doing their job incubating.
I always enjoy viewing the weather there too. Great snow storms, great thunderstorms and it's just fun watching the seasons change. The north nest gets good views of the cattle roaming in the fields around the nest. The exact location is not referenced as the property owners don't want it revealed. It is in the Decorah area though.

Thanks again for starting the thread, Les. I'll keep it updated too!! :)
Gina

"Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks for chiming in Gina. I'm glad I had that link bookmarked on my PC that I got from you originally. :grin: I need to check the site again myself. It's been a while and we'll have some bobble heads to look at too soon. ;)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Guess that eagle couple got up close and personal camera shy. :)
WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Just a quick eagle update....the North nest is within a week of hatch! I'll try to stay on top of it and let folks know when we can see those bobble heads!
Gina

Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome, Gina! Thanks so much! Starting to get busier around here now as spring is here.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Woo hoo! Just checked the north nest and we have a bobble head!!! Hatched yesterday morning and now we await egg #2!
When there are 2 bobble heads, it gets real fun! Lol
:)
Gina

Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks for the update Gina! I need to start looking at the site more often. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Both eggs have hatched and we now have 2 bobble heads!! I briefly checked the other day and caught that the second egg hatched, I think it was Saturday. Two bobble heads is more fun than one! :)
Gina

Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

WxMom wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:10 am Both eggs have hatched and we now have 2 bobble heads!! I briefly checked the other day and caught that the second egg hatched, I think it was Saturday. Two bobble heads is more fun than one! :)
Wonderful! Should we expect to see more Gina or are 2 the limit this year? :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Welp, been super busy and just now had time to check the North nest. Eaglets are getting bigger!! I missed the bobble head stage! Good to see they are doing well and thriving. This nest has a history of challenges and the last couple of years they have lost eaglets for various reasons. Really glad to see things are going well there. Not sure about the more famous eagle parents but hopefully they are doing well in their new condo!! lol
Gina

Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks for the update, Gina! Always enjoy reading your updates and posts. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

So, a long overdue update on the eagles!!! The 2 eaglets at the North nest have reached what I call the dinosaur stage! They are getting big and so far so good, healthy. The first year for eagles is, as with many creatures in wild, pretty challenging and I've heard that 50% of bald eagles do not make it through their first year.
I checked on the other, more famous nest and there are 3 eaglets at the new nest! Unfortunately we can't watch them but I hope that if the funding is there, they may try to do a camera on the new nest. Although, the property owners may not allow it as the exact location has not been shared. At least we have the North nest to watch and observe the amazing growth and development of our national symbol!
Gina

Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Direct Link to the north nest:

https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams ... orth-nest/

Saw the two babies on that cam as Mom and Dad were probably off hunting for food.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Absolutely adorable! 8-)

At that age they look kind of "clumsy" with their feet (talons) but of course to be expected. :)
WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Just a quick update...all looks good at the North nest. It's amazing how quickly they grow! And the original nest, just checking some updates about it, all sounds good with 3 eaglets there. Of course we can't see them this year but the Raptor Resource folks on the ground are able to do some degree of reporting. So, nice to know there are 5 new bald eagles, working their way into the world!!!
Gina

Abraham Lincoln
WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

I've not kept up with the eagles very well this season have I?!!! I just took a quick look at the North nest and the eaglets looks great. As I've noted before, that nest has had it's share of problems so it's nice to see 2 healthy looking eagles hanging out on a nice morning!!
Gina

Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thank you Gina for updating this thread. I have been too lazy to do it myself lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

The eagles have moved elsewhere out of camera range and now a Canadian geese couple has moved in. :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:16 pm The eagles have moved elsewhere out of camera range and now a Canadian geese couple has moved in. :)
There are too many of those blasted things. :lol: Booo! Bring back the Eagles! There is a webcam near Avon Lake (I think) in NE Ohio that has a nest near Lake Erie. If I can find the link I'll throw it in here.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page