Lawn & Garden Thread

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Lawn & Garden Thread

Post by tron777 »

I picked a big batch of bush and wax beans today! Biggest hull to date. I had enough to eat for dinner as well as blanch and froze another batch for later use. I probably have at least 6 packages put away in the freezer besides the meals I have eaten fresh! One of the better green bean seasons for me in a while! I should have another batch of asparagus beans later ion the week to eat also. Tomatoes continue to roll in too. Off of 3 plants I have harvested a hundred plus! I have been eating tomatoes for dinner every night for the last few weeks! One of my better gardening seasons this year. I know Bgoney has been doing well too in the veggie dept. How about the rest of you, hmmm? ;)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Picked more wax and bush beans today. Blanching them for the freezer. Man oh man... what a wonderful gardening season I have had. Lots of beans and tomatoes overall as a whole. Tomato wise, going thru a bit of a lull right now as the tops continue to mature. Garlic chives are going to seed now so no more cutting them until the final cutting of the season later in the fall after the re-seeding process has finished. Otherwise, things are looking good!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Going to be picking another batch of asparagus beans for dinner tonight and a few tomatoes too! Adding extra seasoning the last time I had the beans really helped to improve the flavor. These beans are just very mild so you have to "doctor them up". :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Still picking a few green beans / asparagus beans. Picked another half dozen tomatoes yesterday as well.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

IMG_0584.jpeg

2” cracks in soil after scraping the mulch to the side, you might ask how do you water plants in this situation? The answer is you can’t, water just runs off to somewhere else , you just have to hope it can survive until someday the ground gets moisture at depth. No chance at that happening to my eyes looking at the pattern through the next month at least
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:42 am IMG_0584.jpeg

2” cracks in soil after scraping the mulch to the side, you might ask how do you water plants in this situation? The answer is you can’t, water just runs off to somewhere else , you just have to hope it can survive until someday the ground gets moisture at depth. No chance at that happening to my eyes looking at the pattern through the next month at least
So sorry for your situation, Bgoney, as well as others also in the Tri-state and in the MV.

What we need is an ideal set up for a tropical system to come up through the gulf and shoot north into the Ohio Valley. But like you said, the pattern doesn't bode well through at least the next month, unfortunately.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The tropics are sad right now though and they aren't looking to hep at this time. On the positive side, I am picking more beans tomorrow and my Brother has given me three nice beef steak tomatoes from his garden.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Continuing to pick tomatoes, bush and waxies are slowing down by the shed, asparagus beans still producing on the patio. My late season bush bean plant is loaded with flowers. Should have fresh beans into early October this year! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Mjr
Rain Shower

Post by Mjr »

Finished taking fences down yesterday that keeps the deer out of the gardens.
Only fence left up is the one around our pumpkin 🎃 patch. Deer would eat the leaves
And the green pumpkins. (I Was surprised by that)..

As for the rest of the garden:
We had a good corn harvest this year. We put up about 50 dozen ears of yellow corn.
My wife and I spent 3 evenings during July 22-24 picking, husking, cutting off the Cobb, etc.. We also gave my sister in-law about 15 dozen as well. Our tomatoes, cucumbers, and beans were ok. We did put up about ten bags of green beans.

** We did purchase a 20x30 greenhouse frame this year. Manufactured in the 90’’s. Was missing a few pieces but we fabricated
Those and will wait till February to put on the plastic. Looking forward to that.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome report, MJR! I picked more beans this morning for sinner tonight and a few maters still coming in. :) Overall, my season has been wonderful and I'm stretching it out as long as I can until the cold weather comes. It'll be time to sow my spinach seeds in a couple more weeks. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:41 am Awesome report, MJR! I picked more beans this morning for sinner tonight and a few maters still coming in. :) Overall, my season has been wonderful and I'm stretching it out as long as I can until the cold weather comes. It'll be time to sow my spinach seeds in a couple more weeks. :)
Don't glutton on those beans Bro as they're sinfully delicious! :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:04 am
tron777 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:41 am Awesome report, MJR! I picked more beans this morning for sinner tonight and a few maters still coming in. :) Overall, my season has been wonderful and I'm stretching it out as long as I can until the cold weather comes. It'll be time to sow my spinach seeds in a couple more weeks. :)
I eat the heck of them Bro! Good for you too actually. ;)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:24 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:04 am
I eat the heck of them Bro! Good for you too actually. ;)
I know Bro as I love them, too! :)
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Fall garden in full swing, some turnips, carrots, cabbage plants, even have some spinach going for a possible fall picking and lettuce
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Love the report Bgoney! Awesome!!! My garden is in the winding down stage as you would expect but I am still getting some green beans / asparagus beans and tomatoes. Garlic chives are almost done going to seed. Still have some basil leaves and rosemary left as well. So it's not quite ever with yet. ;) Once the beans are done, I will sow my spinach seeds sometime in October for the spring harvest. I typically plant Bloomsdale spinach, which I will do so again, but I've got another variety I am trying as well. Giant winter spinach is supposed to be heirloom / organic and the plants are supposed to withstand typical winter time cold and have really big leaves come spring time! I will report on how this goes over the winter / springtime. Should be interesting!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Due to the ongoing drought, I’ve Never seen mature trees especially large oak trees with individual large limbs just turn brown. seen it everywhere Ive been the last week. Since ive never seen this happen before I’m not sure if these large limbs are dead, half dead or a desperate survival mode
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:00 pm Due to the ongoing drought, I’ve Never seen mature trees especially large oak trees with individual large limbs just turn brown. seen it everywhere Ive been the last week. Since ive never seen this happen before I’m not sure if these large limbs are dead, half dead or a desperate survival mode
That is interesting.... I have a mature oak and most of my leaves are green minus a small section of it that is beginning to turn yellow. I'll have to see if that section turns brown in the coming days. Usually, oaks are the last to turn and drop their leaves IMBY so it is a bit concerning as you've mentioned.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mowed the lawn today and mulched up leaves as well. Wrapped up the garlic chives for the season. The bean patch by the shed is done. Spinach seeds sown today! All that is left down the road in a couple of weeks is to dismantle the flowers for the season and the tomatoes, and asparagus beans as well as basil and rosemary.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Picked two handfuls of spinach yesterday, some carrots and have one yellow cherry tomato plant left still going strong. Cabbage and turnip plants look good, lettuce is an inch growth
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I have a few more tomatoes coming in before they are done for the season. One more batch of beans and they are done as well. My spring crop, spinach has been starting to sprout over the last week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Picked a Kroger bag full of spinach, it’s done well , that was second picking and it really filled out this go round. Tomatoes are done . Turnips are growing huge tops , a ways to go though before harvest . Lettuce looks good but slow due to lack of sunshine. Just picked a handful of peas too.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

My gardening season is done minus my spinach which I will harvest next spring. For the lawn, it is leaf grinding season for the next month or so then it'll be done for the season also.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Some pics of my woods. Peak color was last weekend. The yellows and orange are sugar maple and various nut trees , they never disappoint

IMG_0733.jpeg
IMG_0726.jpeg
IMG_0731.jpeg
IMG_0728.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome pics, Bgoney! Gorgeous leaf color there! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »