Lawn & Garden Thread

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Lawn & Garden Thread

Post by tron777 »

The AV Gardening thread is back! Talk grass, grub, and your favorite veggies to grow throughout the growing season!

My spinach is coming along here really nice! Grass seed going down next week after this heavy rain event is done. Will go with my usual beans, tomatoes, spice rack as well as expanding the white half runner operation by the fence. I have more time if I continue to work from home so expanding my growing efforts this season hopefully. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Re: Gardening 2021 Thread

Post by House of Cards »

So question or questions for the landscape crowd out there; I would like to improve my lawn for this year. I have a very invasive weed type that webs out like crazy when it gets going. Right now, i see the small leaves throughout the grass but it hasn't kicked in yet. I can knock it out with a Ferti-Lome Weed Free Zone product but think I need to wait a little on that? I also would like to apply a crabgrass preventer/fertilizer product and not sure when the sweet spot is for that? And lastly, I want to add grass seed to fill in the lawn and make it harder for the weeds to regain a foothold. So looking for any advice on order of above and when to start any or all of above? Thanks in advance.
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It sounds like it is something early, like crabgrass, where you'd want to get the prevention applied earlier then you would for broad leafs Iike clover and dandelions which come in later)? Wish I knew what the weed looked like too. We just had rain so I'd put that stuff on a couple of days before we get rain and you should be good. Once crab grass comes up and it's too late. So I put that on early.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

There are a few ways to go here Dave and each one has a risk of failure, depending on weather, not what you want to here I'm sure. Grass seed will germinate at around 50 degrees +-soil temp, and crabgrass around 55+- soil temp, so you could sow the grass seed early , it comes up starts to grow for a few weeks , then you put the pre emergent crabgrass down in late May(depending on soil temp). If you put the crabgrass killer on first and to early you run the risk of it losing its effectiveness in the prime of crabgrass germination, in June, because at best ,on average , the preventer barrier will last 6-7 weeks.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

Thanks; so it sounds like what i'm going to do is sow grass seed a few times til mid April-ish, then look at hitting the crabgrass and weeds. The really invasive weed i am referring to Les, it has a spidery growth pattern to it, the leaves are small rounded leaves, the stems are red in color, I don't know what it is called but it would make a good ground cover since it grows/spreads very quickly, but it tends to choke out the grass as it spreads. I have literally pulled tons of it in patches out of my yard one day, then the next day it's almost like i haven't done anything at all. The closest thing elsewhere i have seen was when the wife and i were in Hawaii, it looks like the same type of "succulent" that grows there in the lava fields maybe that is where it originally came from?
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Dave.. I'm thinking of something that I may have seen in my own yard before. I have no idea what some of these weeds are actually called. Whatever I had, I used weed be gone to get rid of it LOL If you could post a pic of it that would be great.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:57 pm Dave.. I'm thinking of something that I may have seen in my own yard before. I have no idea what some of these weeds are actually called. Whatever I had, I used weed be gone to get rid of it LOL If you could post a pic of it that would be great.
I'm not that technologically savvy! I'll see what i can do though once i get the forum pulled up on my phone.
House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

6B470354-21EB-4FDE-83A8-164E508D3360.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

well, I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! the weed is above, you can see how it "spiders out".
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I have no idea what it's called Dave but I have seen it before. I use weed-be-gone to get rid of it usually. Have not had it in my yard in a couple of years.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Hi Les,

Earlier in the OV March discussion I had mentioned that our Tru Green guy had come this morning for our 1st property application of the Spring season. Having checked the bill statement it had been a guy from Wasson Nursery hq'ed in Muncie, IN who was here and applied a dormant oil spray (non-chemical) insecticide on our landscape to control through suffocation. :thumbupleft:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:57 pm Hi Les,

Earlier in the OV March discussion I had mentioned that our Tru Green guy had come this morning for our 1st property application of the Spring season. Having checked the bill statement it had been a guy from Wasson Nursery hq'ed in Muncie, IN who was here and applied a dormant oil spray (non-chemical) insecticide on our landscape to control through suffocation. :thumbupleft:
10-4 Bro. Tru green put down the granules to stop crab grass and such from germinating. Perfect timing too! The ground is warming up now and all the grass needs to start growing is rain which is coming.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Do you like Tru Green's services? We get mailers all the time asking to do our yard, but I am always scared they will just burn out what grass I have. Also - as you know - I live under a summer rain-free dome most of the time so am also worried about having to over water grass seed each season. Since my yard is currently about 60-80% crab grass, it typically is greener than the neighbors who have real grass. LOL
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:48 am

Do you like Tru Green's services? We get mailers all the time asking to do our yard, but I am always scared they will just burn out what grass I have. Also - as you know - I live under a summer rain-free dome most of the time so am also worried about having to over water grass seed each season. Since my yard is currently about 60-80% crab grass, it typically is greener than the neighbors who have real grass. LOL
I do, Mike! I have cameras set up that cover my entire yard so if they don't treat at all, I've got 'em! I make a phone call and they come back out and treat it again to my specifications. I have one of the best looking lawn on my street! :thumbupleft:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

cloudy72 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:48 am

Hi Mike,

We like the applications (grubs control i.e.) and nutrients that our Tru Green guy Matt dispenses on our lawn and shrub / flower beds. :) My aunt and uncle had used him for years, too, at this same property. :) On his bill statements he even often writes something like "God bless you and have a great day!" :thumbupleft:

I can understand your circumstances, Bro. :)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

It's been so nice the last several days, perfect for yard and beds cleanup.

Just a thought...this spring is the big one for cicadas!!! It's hard to believe it's been 17 years! Not sure if we want a dedicated thread for tracking emergence or just discuss here? My son sure had fun with them when he was 3. Loved picking them up and putting them on me! I remember thinking back then that he will be 20 the next time this brood emerges and I couldn't imagine him at 20 years old! Now, here we are!! Nature is fascinating!! :)
Gina

"Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

WxMom wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:57 pm It's been so nice the last several days, perfect for yard and beds cleanup.

Just a thought...this spring is the big one for cicadas!!! It's hard to believe it's been 17 years! Not sure if we want a dedicated thread for tracking emergence or just discuss here? My son sure had fun with them when he was 3. Loved picking them up and putting them on me! I remember thinking back then that he will be 20 the next time this brood emerges and I couldn't imagine him at 20 years old! Now, here we are!! Nature is fascinating!! :)
Awesome idea Gina to have a separate thread created. :grin:

EDIT: Here you go: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=38
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I mowed for the first time this season! Will seed and straw some bare spots tomorrow after work before our next rain maker comes in. My spinach should be ready to start cutting in another week or two. Garlic chives are up and ready to start cutting for cooking purposes. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Worked up the garden today. Will be putting down plastic to warm up the soil temp on certain areas for some lettuce, carrots , peas, to plant probably Wednesday before our chance for rain.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Saturday was my first mow day of the year!! Always hold a deep breath that the ole lawn mower will start - he's a trooper! Took 8 pulls but had him roaring away for another season!
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Getting ready to harvest the first spinach batch of the season before I go to Lake Erie this weekend / next week. Will try and cut it for dinner on Friday.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Harvested my 2nd batch of spinach this afternoon! Should have 1-2 more cuttings before it'll be time to plant green beans.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Going to be harvesting my third batch of spinach in the next few days. Then looking forward to starting the annuals in about 2 or 3 weeks from now once frost threat is over. It is ok to put in your cauliflower, broccoli, etc... the tough vegetables but wait and your flowers, beans, and tomatoes for a bit. Hope all are beginning to enjoy the spring season! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Harvested the rest of my spinach crop and waiting for a bit warmer temps to sow my bean seeds and also to get everything else cranked up. Mowing continues as usual. New grass is starting to come in now and the established lawn is a lush, dark thick green color.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Got some beans coming up now... Blue Lake bush and wax beans. Going to put in some KY white half runners (pole beans), hopefully this weekend as well as some tomato plants, cauliflower plants and an array of fresh spices: Oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and dill (Garlic chives currently growing already from the year before)

And some flowers in the front yard. So that's my game plan for 2021! What is yours? Post some pics down the road as plants come up and mature. Hope all have a great growing season. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page