Lawn & Garden Thread

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Re: Lawn & Garden Thread

Post by Bgoney »

Picked 3 zucchini this morning, the first of many to come , all the plants are loaded . Watered the garden yesterday, will water again in 3 days
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:53 am Picked 3 zucchini this morning, the first of many to come , all the plants are loaded . Watered the garden yesterday, will water again in 3 days
Outstanding! On this end, the spice rack is open for business now. I also have about 7 or 8 little green tomatoes that are developing nicely. I won't have too much else to report until later in June / July for beans and tomato picking. :tomato:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Crop update:

IMG_20230608_195519110.jpg
IMG_20230608_195504247.jpg
IMG_20230608_195435355_MP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Wow those mater’s are huge, you must be treating them nice!!!

This weather is fantastic for an extended cool season crop of course with supplemental watering. Picking the lettuce and peas in the morning is like picking it out of the fridge. Getting cucumbers now along with the zucchini. Wife made bread yesterday
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:23 am Wow those mater’s are huge, you must be treating them nice!!!

This weather is fantastic for an extended cool season crop of course with supplemental watering. Picking the lettuce and peas in the morning is like picking it out of the fridge. Getting cucumbers now along with the zucchini. Wife made bread yesterday
Yes Sir! A little TLC now and I'll be eating good in the next month! Probably have a dozen little ones on the three plants in total at this time. I'm excited! :) Love hearing about your veggies too! I like taking zucchini and slicking it thin. Cover the bottom of a glass baking dish. Then on top add pizza sauce, moz. cheese, pepperoni etc. and bake it in the oven. Zucchini pizza.,.. it is sooo good!!! Love me some nice mild cuc's too on my salad!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:34 am
Bgoney wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:23 am Wow those mater’s are huge, you must be treating them nice!!!

Yes Sir! A little TLC now and I'll be eating good in the next month! Probably have a dozen little ones on the three plants in total at this time. I'm excited! :) Love hearing about your veggies too! I like taking zucchini and slicking it thin. Cover the bottom of a glass baking dish. Then on top add pizza sauce, moz. cheese, pepperoni etc. and bake it in the oven. Zucchini pizza.,.. it is sooo good!!! Love me some nice mild cuc's too on my salad!
Oven temp? How long?
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

My dad and I are in a pre diabetes support group that meets once a week every other week on Tuesdays here in Greenville at our family doctor med plex bldg and at our next meeting on June 20th our leader said that we'll be cooking a healthy snack in the kitchen there and she mentioned this time possibly roasted chick peas. She said that in the past they've made zucchini pizza e.g. I never have liked any kind of squash but for some reason squash pie (think pumpkin pie what it kind of looks like) is palatable for me. I have Asperger Syndrome high functioning autism diagnosed in 1998 at age 35 and so it affects my taste buds and olfactory senses more so and re texture and taste of certain foods over the years. ;) I have a list of foods that I don't particularly enjoy but have tried cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon e.g. at various times. I eat a lot of canned fruit since fresh and its texture gets to me like peaches, pears, and plums e.g. I know its weird. :lol:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:12 am

Oven temp? How long?
Bake it at 350 degrees for 20 mins. If you want other topping like onions or mushrooms, then precook those prior to baking the dish.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:54 am

Oven temp? How long?
Bake it at 350 degrees for 20 mins. If you want other topping like onions or mushrooms, then precook those prior to baking the dish.
Definitely will give it a try since I’ll have zucchini out the wahzoo.We’ve been making our own pizza on pizza night and I have to say it’s probably a new tradition , because it’s delicious.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:09 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:54 am

Oven temp? How long?
Definitely will give it a try since I’ll have zucchini out the wahzoo.We’ve been making our own pizza on pizza night and I have to say it’s probably a new tradition , because it’s delicious.
Awesome! :) I've used those premade pizza doughs too from Jungle Jim's and they aren't half bad either as a good time saver.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Updated report: Tomato plants over growing their cages with little green ones. Pole bean plants starting to climb cages. Bush beans coming along m but the wax beans already are displaying some purple flowers! Won't be long and it'll be bean picking time in the next 3 weeks or so.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I have two small tomatoes almost ready first of the season! Bush beans and waxes are loaded with flowers. Pole beans continue to climb up the cages.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I picked the first tomato of the season the other day. It was delicious!!! :) I have two more currently turning at this time. No other changes to report.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Seeing a lot of little wax beans now and a few little bush beans too. Should be picking beans after the party! No beans or flowers yet on the pole bean plants.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pic update for spice rack, pole beans/ maters, and bush beans/ waxes

IMG_20230630_120402102_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230630_120427679_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230630_120454742_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Some of the first wax beans and bush beans of the season! I will be picking weekly now for a while. Getting a few maters now too. Pole beans should be coming in 2-3 weeks. We have flowers now on those.
IMG_20230704_093642589_HDR.jpg
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Picked another batch of bush and wax beans today. Picked 4 tomatoes yesterday, 2 more will be ready tomorrow or the next day. I'll be picking the first batch of white 1/2 runner beans (pole beans) late next week. I am also harvesting some spices today. The garlic chives need another haircut and the parsley is out of control. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:38 pm Picked another batch of bush and wax beans today. Picked 4 tomatoes yesterday, 2 more will be ready tomorrow or the next day. I'll be picking the first batch of white 1/2 runner beans (pole beans) late next week. I am also harvesting some spices today. The garlic chives need another haircut and the parsley is out of control. :lol:
Don't make the garlic chives and parsley too "bald" Bro. :lol:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:20 pm
tron777 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:38 pm Picked another batch of bush and wax beans today. Picked 4 tomatoes yesterday, 2 more will be ready tomorrow or the next day. I'll be picking the first batch of white 1/2 runner beans (pole beans) late next week. I am also harvesting some spices today. The garlic chives need another haircut and the parsley is out of control. :lol:
Don't make the garlic chives and parsley too "bald" Bro. :lol:
The chives will grow back in 2 weeks. Only took not even half of the parsley plant. Just the bigger mature leaves and left the smaller ones that were underneath to grow.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I picked 5 more tomatoes today. Another batch of wax and bush beans (ate the waxes for dinner, froze the bush lol) and also ate the first white 1/2 runner picking of the season! :thumbsup: Yummy!!! How is it going in your gardens folks?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Still picking a tomato or two every few days. Going to be picking more bush and wax beans today. I'll pick the 1/2 runners when I get back from Lake Erie.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We are rolling in tomatoes! Off of 3 plants, I have probably picked / eaten 50 tomatoes thus far. One of the better years I have had in a long time! The white half runner beans are done for the season. They don't taste good after the first 2 or 3 pickings. I sowed some more bush bean seeds today trying to see if I can get a second crop before the cold weather comes. Still picking bush beans and wax beans from my patch by the shed. Should get another meal tomorrow when I pick 'em. The asparagus beans are developing nicely! Tons of flowers and little thin purple beans are now developing. Should be seeing what those taste like in the weeks to come. :) Great weather for my garden this year that is for sure. Hope everyone else's gardens are doing well this year!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

First asparagus beans of the season!!! We'll see how they taste tonight for dinner.

IMG_20230805_124248935_MP.jpg
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Not familiar with those, do they taste like beans or asparagus?

Garden did great , over abundance of everything, just had to strategically water. To say I’m annoyed by the dryness this summer would be an understatement. Hosta’s are already turning their fall coloring, along with a few other perennials that are finishing months early
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:29 am Not familiar with those, do they taste like beans or asparagus?

Garden did great , over abundance of everything, just had to strategically water. To say I’m annoyed by the dryness this summer would be an understatement. Hosta’s are already turning their fall coloring, along with a few other perennials that are finishing months early
Neither!!! :lol: From everything that I have read, I was totally expecting an asparagus like flavor. They did not taste like asparagus at all. They didn't even taste like a traditional bush bean or half runner. To be honest, there wasn't much flavor to them at all. I got more flavor from the bacon and onions. They were tender though, so I did like that. Next time I eat them, I'll throw some extra seasoning in to see if I can give it a little more flavor.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page