Lawn & Garden Thread

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Re: Lawn & Garden Thread

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:29 am
Bgoney wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:21 am Been getting some green peppers , but over the past 2 weeks have struggled with an aphid population explosion that continues out of control. They are only on my peppers Thank goodness. I've tried everything, manually squishing, sharp water spray, I've even sprayed the appropriate Insecticide a couple times which I hate to do , and nothing has worked . They multiply so fast. There are plenty of peppers currently on the plants , but I think as far as new ones developing in the coming weeks, that ain't going to happen.
I guess soapy water on the underside of the leaves didn't help either? Only other thing I can think of.
Nope
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:50 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:29 am
Bgoney wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:21 am Been getting some green peppers , but over the past 2 weeks have struggled with an aphid population explosion that continues out of control. They are only on my peppers Thank goodness. I've tried everything, manually squishing, sharp water spray, I've even sprayed the appropriate Insecticide a couple times which I hate to do , and nothing has worked . They multiply so fast. There are plenty of peppers currently on the plants , but I think as far as new ones developing in the coming weeks, that ain't going to happen.
I guess soapy water on the underside of the leaves didn't help either? Only other thing I can think of.
Nope
Well crap lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Hey Les, off subject, but have you heard anything from Gina lately.? I haven't seen her post at all lately, I know she's busy with her teen probably , but just wondering if everything is ok
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:43 pm Hey Les, off subject, but have you heard anything from Gina lately.? I haven't seen her post at all lately, I know she's busy with her teen probably , but just wondering if everything is ok
I have not. Last time she was active on the forum was 5/31. :o I'll throw her a text msg just to check in, if you will.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I just got a response from Gina, she's fine as is the family. Just been busy with life! She should find some time to post in Sept, hopefully. She says HI to everyone and that she messes us all and our forum. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:45 pm I just got a response from Gina, she's fine as is the family. Just been busy with life! She should find some time to post in Sept, hopefully. She says HI to everyone and that she messes us all and our forum. :)
Good to know Les, and thankS for doing that
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:33 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:45 pm I just got a response from Gina, she's fine as is the family. Just been busy with life! She should find some time to post in Sept, hopefully. She says HI to everyone and that she messes us all and our forum. :)
Good to know Les, and thankS for doing that
No problem, Bgoney! Gina appreciated it too. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Check out my potato harvest. This is from 8 seed potatoes I planted
IMG_20220830_181405.jpg
IMG_20220830_181507.jpg
IMG_20220830_181516.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Holy Cow!!!! That is awesome! I love potatoes! Baked, fried, mashed, whatever. :lol: Nice job and one hell of a nice harvest too! :thumbsup:

As for me, I picked 6 more tomatoes today. Used half in a salad and I'll eat the rest tomorrow night as a side for dinner. :lol: Bush beans are done for the season. After 2 months of harvesting, the quality starts to turn south this time of year as the bean pods themselves start to get more rubbery as we lose the daylight. All I have left for the season are my tomatoes and the spice cabinet. Once we roll into October, I'll plant my spinach seeds. Timing (early or mid Oct) will depend on the weather pattern. If it's hot and dry, I'll wait. Cool and wet., I'll plant.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

A good amount of Tom's on the vines and still healthy looking so I'll be getting Tom's for quite a while longer. My fall snow peas are 8"tall and climbing , fall lettuce is an inch high and before our rain planted more of both . Can only fall plant about a third of the garden because sun angle and tall trees are shading part of the garden now. Waiting for peppers to turn red or orange before I pick any more. Still have one zucchini plant hanging on and producing
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We have a free asparagus beans!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We have a few asparagus beans!

39715.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'll be picking the last of my tomatoes in the coming week(s) and by mid October, it'll be time to plant the spinach and probably harvest (dry out) the spice rack plants outside for the season. Tear out the flowers and begin the slow process of leaf grinding. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Due to the good threat for frost this coming weekend, I went ahead and I sowed my spinach seeds yesterday so it'll come up right when it is getting cold, should work out perfect. Will probably dismantle the tomatoes, spick rack, and flowers later this week and wrap all that up for the season. Leaf grinding season should really get into gear, once we get a few frosts to kick start the leaf changing process.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Good morning, yea I've been gradually pulling tomato plants, still have 4 that are loaded and have been thinning out the smaller Tom's so the others ripen faster. Fall lettuce crop is in full throttle, peas are fantastic, . I'll give the spinach a go , when time allows. Been extremely busy with work, sept/Oct are comparable to May/June , lots to do!!!!!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:37 am Good morning, yea I've been gradually pulling tomato plants, still have 4 that are loaded and have been thinning out the smaller Tom's so the others ripen faster. Fall lettuce crop is in full throttle, peas are fantastic, . I'll give the spinach a go , when time allows. Been extremely busy with work, sept/Oct are comparable to May/June , lots to do!!!!!
Yeo! Got to get your work done so you can track snow with us! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

New spinach has started to sprout up today! No need to post a pic since they look like blades of grass when the spinach first comes up. :lol: It'll be ready by sometime in April! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Peas, cabbage, lettuce and turnips in the fall garden. My biggest hindrance this time of year is due to being in the middle of a woods , with the lower sun angle, my garden probably only gets 2-4 hrs of sun . It's enough , but it slows things down
20221024_165656.jpg
20221024_170144.jpg
I70
20221024_165622.jpg
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:35 pm Peas, cabbage, lettuce and turnips in the fall garden. My biggest hindrance this time of year is due to being in the middle of a woods , with the lower sun angle, my garden probably only gets 2-4 hrs of sun . It's enough , but it slows things down
Man... that stuff still looks as good as it does earlier in the year! Fantastic! Nice to see that you'll harvest a bit more before it's over for the season!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Picked some lettuce last night and will probably pick the rest Saturday, along with heads of cabbage and rest of peas

20221109_163505.jpg
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Man that stuff looks so good and so fresh! Love me some fried cabbage and onions! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:26 am Man that stuff looks so good and so fresh! Love me some fried cabbage and onions! :thumbsup:
Speaking of cabbage, picked 2 just now, man they were bigger than I thought . Have 4 more still in garden to pick. More peas for the salad and they are loaded with blooms, but I don't those will survive

20221111_164326.jpg
20221111_163333.jpg
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:48 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:26 am Man that stuff looks so good and so fresh! Love me some fried cabbage and onions! :thumbsup:
Speaking of cabbage, picked 2 just now, man they were bigger than I thought . Have 4 more still in garden to pick. More peas for the salad and they are loaded with blooms, but I don't those will survive

20221111_164326.jpg
20221111_163333.jpg
Wow! those cabbage heads are fantastic looking... HUGE!!! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Have some snowdrops , grape hyacinth, and hellaborous blooming around the yard , daffodils are about 6-8" tall
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

My spinach is sure looking good thanks to the mild winter. Should be a great harvest sometime in April or early May. If we have a cool and wet spring, it's perfect for spinach (and new grass also)! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page