Forum Updates

All Forum Updates and Announcements will be posted in this section of the Forum. You may also post recommendations or Improvements to make your Forum experience better!
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Forum Updates

Post by fyrfyter »

I got into a discussion last night with both Les and Trevor. They were looking for help with our freshly setup AV forum and keeping things running going forward. They asked if I would be willing to help administrate the forum and I gladly accepted. If you need help with something, don't be afraid to ask them or me.

I'm sure you have questions about this new site. We have some answers, but some things are still unknown. We still have work to do, to get us setup and back to where the forum was before. We do have to build a new header and work on some things. I know the settings aren't completely perfect, so if you do find something or have an issue, please let one of us know.

Our initial discussion last night was centered around how to work with the forum and how we make it mobile friendly going forward. We all agreed that we didn't particularly like the Tapatalk app and wanted to look at other options. That brings us to how the forum looks now. We added this theme in last night and reset everyone to it. This theme is mobile responsive. It will look good on a computer, tablet or even a cell phone. The theme can determine what kind of device you are using and will make it display correctly. This should solve 2 issues. 1.) We no longer have to rely on Tapatalk and 2.) Displaying images in all posts should work correctly. We tried in on both Android and iPhones last night and can confirm both Safari and Google Chrome display it correctly for mobile devices.

I'm glad to offer up my knowledge with things like this on the forum. I know some from helping with other forums, but there is always more to learn. Also if you have a suggestion or something you would like to see, please let us know.

I look forward to continuing to have fun with you all posting and learning about the weather.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Forum Updates

Post by tron777 »

Thanks very much Aaron for taking on this role and in helping us get back up and running! :D Welcome to our Team! I thank Trev too being able to put this new site together. Now we can continue to update it and make it our new home!

Thanks to all members who have come back and for any new members we get going forward. It's your site too so make sure to let us know any issues or questions that may arise.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Smohler
Rain Shower

Post by Smohler »

Love the new look! I did have to re-register but I used my old user name and password. Hope that is okay. Thank you for all the work, I would really miss AV.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Smohler wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:37 am Love the new look! I did have to re-register but I used my old user name and password. Hope that is okay. Thank you for all the work, I would really miss AV.
Welcome back Sherry! :D I'm glad to see lots of folks use their same usernames. Makes it easier for me to remember who everyone is. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Aaron has addressed the Spamming issues and we have those protections in place now. He has also added new smiles so enjoy using those when you post! Just click on the Full Editor and Preview button to use those as well as to attach an image to your post. The new software looks to be working beautifully and attaching an image to your forum post is super easy and fast now! Not clunky at all like on the old board.

We still have more things on our TO DO list but it's getting there! We will continue to keep you guys informed. :grin:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

So a few updates for today:

1.) Videos can now be added into posts. The button looks like a computer, or you can use the BBcode [media][/media] This includes YouTube and a whole lot of other things.

2.) I have the header image uploaded. Yes, we have a new look for AV. I know it isn't perfectly aligned on desktop and way skewed on mobile devices. I do have a support ticket in with the developer. Once I get a few answers, I will get it resolved for both.

3.) We are going to try a reaction system for posts. More information forthcoming on that part.

4.) A footer bar has been added with an "about us" and a link to the AV Facebook page.

5.) More smilies are coming. They just take time to add in. I will add a few more every day.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
WxMom
Rain Shower

Post by WxMom »

Hey guys, thanks so much for the continuous rebuild and improvements here! First time this week I've hopped on and it's exciting to see how things are progressing!
Aaron, one of the best things for my usage is the mobile friendly component. I stopped using tapatalk months ago and dealt with the site on my phone as it was. It looks great on my phone now! I didn't know the mobile friendly was a thing!! lol

Good stuff guys!!! Thank you!!! :)
Gina

"Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

WxMom wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 pm Hey guys, thanks so much for the continuous rebuild and improvements here! First time this week I've hopped on and it's exciting to see how things are progressing!
Aaron, one of the best things for my usage is the mobile friendly component. I stopped using tapatalk months ago and dealt with the site on my phone as it was. It looks great on my phone now! I didn't know the mobile friendly was a thing!! lol

Good stuff guys!!! Thank you!!! :)
I'm glad it's working well for you. Tapatalk had a place in time and now was a good time to move forward.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

Forum Updates for Friday, March 5:

1.) Desktop AV Header is corrected and looking good.

2.) Forum theme owner is "helping" us with those issues.

3.) I'll keep adding in the smilies.

4.) Rating system so far is a bust. Not having much luck with that.

5.) I haven't had any luck in finding a weather widget for forum signatures, but I'll keep looking.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks very much Aaron for your hard work and dedication to our forum! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

Updates for Monday, 3/8:

1.) Mobile view, both portrait and landscape is fixed, so the AV logo doesn't take over the whole screen. Seems fine with newer smartphones. Older ones, not so much.
2.) I am still working on uploading a lot more smilies. It will be a few more days before I get through all of them.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

fyrfyter wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:32 pm Updates for Monday, 3/8:

1.) Mobile view, both portrait and landscape is fixed, so the AV logo doesn't take over the whole screen. Seems fine with newer smartphones. Older ones, not so much.
2.) I am still working on uploading a lot more smilies. It will be a few more days before I get through all of them.
I love those smilies, Aaron! 8-)

Thank you for all your dedicated work, Bro! :)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhodesman88
Rain Shower

Post by rhodesman88 »

New forum looks great!. This is what happens when I take a few weeks off from logging on!!!
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

All smilies have been uploaded.

will continue to work out some background bugs.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
Microburst
Rain Shower

Post by Microburst »

I have re-signed up! :)

-Danny Lee Johnson
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Microburst wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 am I have re-signed up! :)

-Danny Lee Johnson
It's about time! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Microburst wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 am I have re-signed up! :)

-Danny Lee Johnson
Hi Danny,

You'll have to join Doug (dce) and myself there at the temp challenges! :thumbupleft:

Hope you're doing well, Bro! 8-)
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Just a heads up folks: BlueHost will be performing maintenance this evening at 11:30. Expect the forum to go down for around 30 minutes.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Sorry for the brief downtime this afternoon. Aaron had to do a couple of maintenance things on the forum and fix one of the smiles. We're good to go now, thank you all! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page