All Things Weather Station

Use this forum for discussing all things weather app related for PC's, tablets, and smart phones. Post about your weather station and ask questions here.
tron777
Major Hurricane

All Things Weather Station

Post by tron777 »

Discuss all Weather Station related things here.. Like I have a Davis Vantage Vue. Used a pole mount on top of my shed roof. Have it bolted from inside the shed. What station do you have? Ask all questions here! Are you planning on getting one?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Re: All Things Weather Station

Post by cloudy72 »

So I believe I talked about this a while back, but now that we are in tax return season...I am reliving it. :) So I am looking at replacing my outdoor weather station and have honestly narrowed down my search to these choices:

1. Davis Vantage Vue (Hi Les! :))
2. Tempest Weather Station

The one feature that currently puts the Tempest station ahead for me is that it has lightning detection, and I do not believe the Vue does. Hoping someone on here owns one and can give some feedback on whether it's worth the price or not. Also - with Tempest, there is no indoor display you have to look at the data on your cellphone or laptop/computer.

Les - I know you rave about your Vue (Is it still #1 on your list if you had to do over?).
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Hey Mike... I still love my Davis! Still working perfectly. No issues with it whatsoever even after the punishment it took with snow, ice, and cold back in February. Once the snow melted off of it, it started recording precip again. It's very well made to handle the weather outside.

Now, I have seen newer weather stations out there that have better graphics on the console and more bells and whistles then the Davis one does, so if that's your thing, there are better models out there. But for now, I am perfectly happy with what I am using. :grin:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

Here's my issue with the Tempest- They way it is designed- I do not like the idea of electronic sensors to detect wind and rain. I just don't trust them. I also don't like the limits they place on the data. You cannot submit data to CWOP/APRSWXNET. That makes it a hard no for me. I've had a Vantage Vue for many years and I still love it.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

fyrfyter wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:49 am Here's my issue with the Tempest- They way it is designed- I do not like the idea of electronic sensors to detect wind and rain. I just don't trust them. I also don't like the limits they place on the data. You cannot submit data to CWOP/APRSWXNET. That makes it a hard no for me. I've had a Vantage Vue for many years and I still love it.
I noticed that too - there was no specific rain gauge and just a "touch plate". I went through the reviews and it seems like most negative marks were regarding the rainfall being off due to occurrences like birds stepping on the plate. LOL

I see all the positive 5 stars on this product, but am also skeptical as not sure how many of these are "real" reviews. I know that folks on here can be trusted and so far its Vue 2 - Tempest 0 :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

I also like that Davis customer support is an actual person you can talk to. When I have had issues, they were nice and willing to discuss what to look for and what to do about it. That says something about their business and customer support.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

fyrfyter wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:42 pm I also like that Davis customer support is an actual person you can talk to. When I have had issues, they were nice and willing to discuss what to look for and what to do about it. That says something about their business and customer support.
Awesome! Good to know... beats having to talk to an overseas helpdesk or a chat bot. etc. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:56 pm
fyrfyter wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:42 pm I also like that Davis customer support is an actual person you can talk to. When I have had issues, they were nice and willing to discuss what to look for and what to do about it. That says something about their business and customer support.
Awesome! Good to know... beats having to talk to an overseas helpdesk or a chat bot. etc. :lol:
Believe me, I know. Too many times doing that when addressing BH issues :lol:
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:59 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:56 pm
Believe me, I know. Too many times doing that when addressing BH issues :lol:

LOL! Hopefully those days are behind us. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

And overseas helpdesk along with their at times hard to understand dialects. ;)
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

So I think I am purchasing the Davis Vantage Vue next Friday, so thanks Les and Aaron for your input and expertise!! I'm sure Davis will forward your referral bonus checks soon afterwards! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:52 pm So I think I am purchasing the Davis Vantage Vue next Friday, so thanks Les and Aaron for your input and expertise!! I'm sure Davis will forward your referral bonus checks soon afterwards! :)
I wish! 8-)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

Me too. A Discount code on a replacement ISS would be nice, considering it's currently cheaper to replace it, than to repair it.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

So tomorrow is my big day - been a good run with my current 5-in-1 weather station, but looking forward to the many features on the Vue.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:05 am So tomorrow is my big day - been a good run with my current 5-in-1 weather station, but looking forward to the many features on the Vue.
Awesome Mike! With the active pattern unfolding, your timing is perfect. Let us know how you like it. :grin:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Fellas - I am officially up and running!!!

42445A7B-E4A0-47D0-9957-B1D1CFFFF123.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome Mike! Let's see how much precip you pick up tomorrow then again later in the week. :grin:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page