April 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: April 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Only 52 at CVG per the 1pm reading. Making it into the mid 60s is obviously doubtful. ILN bumped us down to the lower 60s and now, I am even questioning that. That could yield for cooler overnight lows tonight, however, we should stay in the 40s (at least down Cincy way). Once that warm front passes tomorrow, then watch out... here comes summer! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

As of 2pm CVG jumped up to 56. Watch us hit the low 60s after all and make part of my above post look foolish. It won't be the first time or the last time I guess. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I hit 61, CVG hit 60. Close enough! :lol: It actually feels nice out since the wind isn't roaring like it has been (and will be come Saturday).
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 61 and both DAY / CMH 60 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all and happy Friday! We will be playing a game today called Tracking the Warm Front. It will not arrive until this afternoon so one more "cool" day if you will. We should hit 70 or come close to it. Best shot for rain will be in that 3-9pm window. Not everyone will see the rain and even a t-storm since the coverage will be scattered.

Winds will ramp up overnight tonight and increase further on Saturday ushering in a much warmer and more humid air mass. Gusts to 30 mph are likely on Saturday. A small shower / t-storm chance exists as well mainly early in the day. Again, this chance is small and will be scattered in coverage. Highs in the upper 70s.

Sunday is dry, sunny, not quite as windy with temps in the 80s. Monday will also be around 80 with a slight chance of a storm late in the day. Chances for rain and t-storms increase Mon night into Tues of next week as a cold front enters the area. The ridge tries to break down a bit but not enough to have the front pass completely thru the entire area. The front is now expected to stall out in a west to east fashion. This will lead to continued warm and humid conditions along with a daily chance for scattered storms Wed and Thurs of next week. The GFS was first to show this while the Euro blasted the front thru. The GFS looks to be winning the model battle on this one. The front finally blows thru Friday of next week and if correct, the weather would be cooler and more pleasant for the KY Derby. As usual, we shall see!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Currently, the warm front is running from a St. Louis to Paducah to Nashville line. It will slowly move NE today as low pressure over Western KS slowly deepens and moves NE into Iowa as time goes on.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

68 as of 2pm at CVG with SE winds as the warm front begins to approach the area. As soon as the warm front passes, dews that are currently in the 40s will jump up into the 50s. Winds will become more southerly and will continue to pick up in intensity as well. As far as any rain chances go with the warm front's passage, Radar currently to our SW looks pitiful with just a scattered to broken line of light showers slowly moving NE. Unless that radar picture changes in the next couple of hours, getting any meaningful rainfall is going to be hard to come by. It maybe hard to come by in all honesty until next week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

75 here today, CVG has 74 as of 4pm. Warm front obviously came thru with gusty S winds. I had 1 rain drop on my windshield on my drive home. One Drop. That was it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'm up to about a dozen sprinkles now! Waaa Hoooo! Lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Both CVG / DAY got to 74 and CMH 76 today.

Was a nice afternoon to help my Dad power wash window screens and dry them. :) Maintenance will reinstall them sometime next week. :)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Had to get some blood work done this morning (annual physical). Eating breakfast now then will buy some plants to get the gardening season going. A busy weekend ahead. Got to power wash one side of the house and clean the shed gutters out too
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

77 so far today here. Also had a few sprinkles earlier while I was using the power washer on the siding. :lol: Got all of my veggies bought and some flowers too. Had some mulch delivered and a bale of straw so I can reseed some bare areas. My back is about shot today so I will take it easy the rest of today and do all of the planting tomorrow! The lawn will have to wait and be mowed next week sometime.

Weatherwise... not much to report. The better rain chances will come late Monday thru early Tues with scattered chances and continued mild conditions thru Friday of next week. Derby weekend right now still looks very nice and pleasant.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 78, DAY 79 and CMH 80 today.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good Sunday morning to you all! 80 to 85 is the expected high for most folks today with plenty of sunshine. Winds will be gusty but not quite as high as they were yesterday. A small shot for storms tomorrow afternoon, with the best chance Mon night into Tues morning. A small chance Thurs, then a better chance for Friday of next week. Temps will be at summerlike levels all week long and then drop back more towards normal, if not a touch below, for the upcoming weekend Derby Weekend.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Currently 77 here in G'ville and 79 DAY. :sunny:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I hit 82 so far today, CVG has 80 as of the 3pm reading. As I posted in our Outdoor subforum, all of the crops and flowers are in! I can't remember the last time that I did all of this in April. It is typically Mother's Day weekend most years. It's kind of nice to get a 2 week jump versus most years.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Now at 79 here in G'ville and 82 DAY. :sunny:

UPDATE: G'ville made it to 81.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG got to 81, DAY 82 and CMH 83 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! Hopefully our next weather system will pan out rainfall wise as we could use it! At the same time, I hope it holds off until I get the grass cut. :lol: Our highest chances continue to look like it will come tonight into tomorrow. We get a break on Wed and Thurs with the low and mid 80s expected. POPS return by Friday as well as this weekend with the front stalling out across the area. So a warm, and at times, active pattern is ahead for the next 7 days.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I don't see much, if any, in the way of severe wx either this week. Don't be surprised to hear some thunder or see some lightening from time to time over the next week, but everything I am seeing attm points to any storms remaining sub severe. Rainfall amounts with our first system (late today into Tues.) should avg out to be around a half inch. The chance to get more then that grows some in our Western counties with chances to get a half inch decreases as one heads into our Eastern counties. Hopefully though the coverage will be high enough for everyone's lawns and newly planted gardens to get a good drink.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:57 am I don't see much, if any, in the way of severe wx either this week. Don't be surprised to hear some thunder or see some lightening from time to time over the next week, but everything I am seeing attm points to any storms remaining sub severe. Rainfall amounts with our first system (late today into Tues.) should avg out to be around a half inch. The chance to get more then that grows some in our Western counties with chances to get a half inch decreases as one heads into our Eastern counties. Hopefully though the coverage will be high enough for everyone's lawns and newly planted gardens to get a good drink.
Hrrr really wants to wash the front out with litttle forcing by the time it reaches CVGland with more or less around a quarter inch for the region, which wouldn’t shock me at all especially out this way
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:12 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:57 am I don't see much, if any, in the way of severe wx either this week. Don't be surprised to hear some thunder or see some lightening from time to time over the next week, but everything I am seeing attm points to any storms remaining sub severe. Rainfall amounts with our first system (late today into Tues.) should avg out to be around a half inch. The chance to get more then that grows some in our Western counties with chances to get a half inch decreases as one heads into our Eastern counties. Hopefully though the coverage will be high enough for everyone's lawns and newly planted gardens to get a good drink.
Hrrr really wants to wash the front out with litttle forcing by the time it reaches CVGland with more or less around a quarter inch for the region, which wouldn’t shock me at all especially out this way
The NAM is always good for a laugh. It has t-storms this evening impacting CVG Land with up to an inch of rain occurring. Way overdone IMO and I like the 1/2" avg call as a good model blend. Definitely agree with the highest totals in our western counties and lightest in the east, I checked this mornings sounding from ILN and we definitely have some dry air to overcome as well as a nice cap in place. Convective temp is 85 degrees.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

BG's videos this week will of course be focusing on the KY Derby and associated events surrounding it. I always find the videos to be very informative. I still find it a crying shame that we have no local TV Mets who are willing to put in the extra work that BG does.

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and back from the tundra. Wild up there and on Saturday temp got to 64 but a strong southeast coming from Lake Michigan and the feel like temp was in the mid 40's. Got some work done but the winds were a problem the whole time and even on the drive back until we got to Indy or so. Have not looked at much so far but will have a chance later this afternoon