April 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Re: April 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by Bgoney »

A lot more rain upstream from last event

IMG_1656.jpeg
IMG_1657.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Nice round of hail that covered the ground for about 3 minutes.Bgoney nice post on the rainfall upstream and hopefully we don't have another round of heavy rain for at least a week. No doubt some flooding but hopefully does not get out of hand.
dce
EF4 Tornado

Post by dce »

I received 2.8 inches of rain the last 72 hours.
Doug

Huber Heights
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:22 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:18 pm
tpweather wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:55 am
Bgoney wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:51 am Speaking of local weather outlets, I wanted to see the coverage from local stations to see who was more tolerable and informative. By far Brandon Skinner from wcpo was the most informative, quick and precise and had the best grasp on operating all the bells and whistles at their disposal. IMO…. He was minutes ahead of ILN in calling the warned areas in Ripley and Adam’s counties
Bgoney that is the one station I did not tune to because I thought Steve R was the main person. I checked the other 3 and fox with Steve H was good though Steve not as quick but a guy name Evan I believe was really on top of the game. Channel 12 was terrible. Channel 5 was a little slow to the punch at first but towards the end was good. The Weather Channel was in town but again 2 minutes of weather and 10 minutes of ads-no thanks.
Yes and I saw where Justin Michaels was reporting from Covington and it showed the Cincy skyline.

I remember Tony Sands, Ira Joe Fisher, Steve Deshler, and Steve H. e.g. from my years of residing in the Tri-state. :)
I remember Ira Joe on our local news and when he went National also. It always amazed me how he could write backwards. He made it look so easy! :lol:
I always loved that talent of his, too, Bro! 8-) Plexiglass board and his white marker. 8-)

I wrote him a fan letter when he was still with WKRC12 and he corresponded back and on WKRC letterhead. :) I think it was January 1981 and at the time I resided in Hamilton. :) I still have his letter somewhere. :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:24 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:47 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:39 am Trev and I had a few other weather forums before AV. Eric was with us in those days. I think it was just us 3 LOL When we all met each other on Rich's forum, then we met more of you over the years too. Then we launched AV and the rest is history! Anyway, I credit Rich with bringing us all together because without that, AV may have never been born. :lol:
Hi Les,

I hadn't heard of Rich Apuzzo or his Skyeye site :) until having come across Trev's original first AV via a newspaper article feature about Trevor, he and his family's miraculous survival from a tornado which sparked his interest in meteorology and his founding of AV. A wx friend named Mary Bosken from Cincy via our The Weather Channel forum days posted that article about Trev and AV and from there I found about you, Trev, and some other members having been a part of Rich's Skyeye. :) I'll always be forever grateful to that wx friend Mary and our linkage via the former TWC forum boards and that news article that led me to AV. :)
As you recall Bro, for a while it was just me and you posting. Trev was MIA and we did not have the wonderful member base back then that we do today. We also owe a lot of membership in part due to Rich and a lot of us meeting on Skyeye before coming over here to AV. Anyway, my point here is that you have been with Trev and I Eric (outside of Skyeye) since Day 1 and I appreciate it. Glad you have stuck around all these years., :)
I hear ya Bro and wholly agree. :) I also appreciate you, Trev, and so many others and love this community family secondly to my own family. :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Both CVG / DAY got to 49 (predawn CVG and CMH) and CMH 55 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tpweather wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:20 am Great Posts all. Feel very lucky yesterday as the potential was to have a major outbreak. Hype is always tough because if you hype too much it looks bad or if you don't hype enough and get a severe outbreak you look bad. With severe weather I don't mind a little hype just so folks are aware what could happen.

The only problem I had yesterday was some schools and business owners closed early though the severe part of the day was likely to occur after 5pm. Not sure what weather outlet they were tuning into so not sure what went into that decision.
Supercells were possible early to mid afternoon which is why they dismissed early. Thankfully they didn’t develop as expected but I absolutely agree with releasing early for MDT or HIGH risk days. It’s common practice in Tornado Alley and Dixie Alley. A violent tornado hitting a packed school or during dismissal is something we never want to see. Best to avoid the risk.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and a nice crisp morning to say the least. Trev we disagree on the closings but that is okay we are allowed to in this country at least for the near future lol. Looks most of the weekend will be nice but showers do creep back in the picture late Sunday. Monday may turn out fine but could be some clouds which could hamper seeing the full effects of the eclipse. Still will be dark and the animals will do their normal routine like its nighttime which is fun to watch. Hopefully we can get a break of the clouds in the afternoon.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! 37 with light rain at CVG. I had a few snow showers mixed in earlier this morning. Now just regular old light miserable rain. :lol: It looks like we will still have a small shower chance tomorrow, best chance East. A chilly Sat and Sun mornings but pleasant afternoons. Then late Sunday as Tim said into Mon morning, we get the warm front. Clouds / showers possible. If we can get into the warm sector ahead of Mon night / Tues t-storm chances, we could see a period of clear skies Mon afternoon. Boy it is going to be close! We are just going to have to wait and see.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The front stalls Tues / Wed and it just depends on where that happens for the best rainfall. Currently, NW counties don't see much and SE gets the most. But again, that could change. Extended range continues to look active which you would expect in April. I do not know if severe wx will be possible next week, it just depends on where that front stalls.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:23 am The front stalls Tues / Wed and it just depends on where that happens for the best rainfall. Currently, NW counties don't see much and SE gets the most. But again, that could change. Extended range continues to look active which you would expect in April. I do not know if severe wx will be possible next week, it just depends on where that front stalls.
Currently the SPC has a 15% for Days 4 and 5 in the Arklatex region e.g.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

I agree with Trevor re the early school closings on Tues afternoon as supts didn't want to "gamble" with the safety / welfare for both students and faculties.

At 4:33 PM on April 3rd, 1974 when Xenia started getting devastated, among the destruction was the high school there and 13 lives were lost among students and faculty members.

Several students and faculty were killed, too, at a high school in Belvidere, IL on April 21st, 1967.

Thankful for a free country and despite woke wanting society to use crazy pronouns e.g.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

45 in my hood today. Freeze Watch in effect for Sat morning for the entire area.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Evening and a wonderful early April day. Hardest rain shower of the day happening and with showers that 3-7pm time is always a prime time. Looking beyond the next several days and we look to stay rather active but even more important imo is the south central and southeast remain active as well. Always a time in the spring that each area of the country gets out of the spring mode into summer and sometimes very quickly and that can lead to a short term drought. So far so good if the models are correct and they seem fine imo. Yes those days will come but hopefully later in May or June because once summer sets in down there many times we must wait until the tropical season heats up.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 45, DAY 47 and CMH 50 today.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

For Day 3 Sunday ...

...SUMMARY...

Strong thunderstorms with marginally severe wind gusts will be possible on Sunday from the lower to mid Mississippi Valley eastward into western parts of the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys. Hail could also occur in parts of the mid Mississippi Valley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! 40 degrees currently. Looks like I had another rain shower overnight. We may see another one this afternoon (about 30-40% chance) then we are cold Sat morning but a nice afternoon. Sunday will be a nice day until we get to late in the day when t-storms are possible with a warm front. Hopefully this leads us to a good day for the eclipse on Monday because Mon night thru at least Wed, more rain and storms chances will occur.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Forecast looks good Les. Just not sure how much rainfall we get with the warm front and I am hoping drier as I have a tee time at 1050 Sunday morning in central Indiana. I expect a few showers and hopefully any heavier rains if it happens will be after 4pm or so
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 10 AM EDT
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures as low as 30 expected.

* WHERE...Portions of east central and southeast Indiana,
northeast and northern Kentucky and central, south central,
southwest and west central Ohio.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 10 AM EDT Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions will kill crops, other
sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor
plumbing.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:12 am Forecast looks good Les. Just not sure how much rainfall we get with the warm front and I am hoping drier as I have a tee time at 1050 Sunday morning in central Indiana. I expect a few showers and hopefully any heavier rains if it happens will be after 4pm or so
6Z NAM has 0.10" at CVG for Mon night. 6Z GFS has the same timing so 0.03" and the 6Z Euro also has the same timing with 0.08" For us locally, we'll get the showers in a weakening phase it appears. You are further West so earlier timing and heavier amounts would be expected but still I think you should be good for your Golf game in the morning.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I had a pretty good downpour about half an hour, maybe 45 mins. ago.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Keep getting the occasional drizzler here. I'm going to have to mow this weekend since there is more rain scheduled with the warm front and then next week too. Looks wet from Mon night thru Thurs now. But I'm not complaining. I don't mind a lot of rain this time of year. It is the wettest time of the year climo wise April thru June in our region.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Hope everyone gets a chance to see the eclipse. I will not be back in town until sometime on Tuesday.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:07 pm Hope everyone gets a chance to see the eclipse. I will not be back in town until sometime on Tuesday.
Safe Travels Tim and please post a good report when you back of your totality experience!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Wxlrnr
Heavy Rain

Post by Wxlrnr »

Emptied the rain guage so it wouldn't freeze. I didn't get it out until Monday afternoon. 2.5 inches.
Hyde Park, Cincinnati.