April 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Re: April 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:50 pm No TOR warnings are in effect as of this post thankfully. Yeah, you guys were right. That second round helped to keep things more "tame" then what otherwise could have been. We would have had a huge outbreak if that second round did not occur before I left work. That saved us.
So very thankful! :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Wilmington OH
654 PM EDT Tue Apr 2 2024

The National Weather Service in Wilmington has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Southwestern Franklin County in central Ohio...
Fayette County in central Ohio...
Northeastern Clinton County in southwestern Ohio...
Northwestern Pickaway County in central Ohio...
Southeastern Greene County in west central Ohio...
Southern Madison County in central Ohio...

* Until 745 PM EDT.

* At 653 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Sabina,
moving northeast at 45 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Minor hail damage to vehicles is possible. Expect wind
damage to trees and power lines.

* Locations impacted include...
Columbus, Grove City, Washington Court House, Sabina, Jamestown,
Mount Sterling, South Bloomfield, Jeffersonville, Williamsport,
Bloomingburg, New Holland, Commercial Point, Fox, Urbancrest, South
Solon, Midway, Harrisburg, Bowersville, Orient, and Darbyville.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:54 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:50 pm No TOR warnings are in effect as of this post thankfully. Yeah, you guys were right. That second round helped to keep things more "tame" then what otherwise could have been. We would have had a huge outbreak if that second round did not occur before I left work. That saved us.
100p/c agree and yes we had plenty of rotation well up in the atmosphere but was unable for the most part to get those winds near the surface or tree line. I was watching the top of the trees and all blowing in one direction so no rotation made it there. The second wave this morning helped so much in keeping it rather tame if that is what you want to call it. One thing I could feel though was the humid air and starting feeling that around 530pm and still can tell its around but within the next few hours that should subside as well.
There was so much wind, rain, and hail here that if there was rotation, I don't think I would have been able to see it. Two days in a row for me now to see hail. :lol: We have a long ways to go in the spring storm season too.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Les I had hail last night for a few minutes but for the most part very little wind this afternoon.
Browneyedgirl
Heavy Rain

Post by Browneyedgirl »

I’m hearing 75 is closed north and south due to downed power lines.
Lisa
Liberty Township, Butler County

Still learning all this weather stuff!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

No doubt a true early spring storm with tornado's,heavy rain,snow and blizzard conditions.
MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

MVWxObserver wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:55 pm
So very thankful! :)
Same. Whew!!!!
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
Mlgzz
Rain Shower

Post by Mlgzz »

Lisa is correct, I-75 is closed north and southbound in the Monroe area due to power lines down. It is a parking lot.

Thanks for all the excellent coverage of this storm system. Anyone following this forum had great notification of what to expect over the last 24 hours.
Mike G.
Fairfield Twp :02cents:
Wxlrnr
Heavy Rain

Post by Wxlrnr »

Watching WCPO, confirmed tornadoes east, Manchester and West Union.
Hyde Park, Cincinnati.
Snow43130
Rain Shower

Post by Snow43130 »

Tornado warning here now
BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

Wild night here. Tornado warned storm right over head. All good. Over an inch and half of rain and still pouring.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! 40 degrees with W winds gusting to 30 mph. We get the back side rain showers today with rain and snow showers tonight into tomorrow as the upper low passes. Then we slowly warm up!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

1.71" event total at CVG. 1.65" at the Boone Co mesonet and around 1.68" of rain here.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Code: Select all

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Wilmington OH
1227 AM EDT Wed Apr 3 2024

...PRELIMINARY STORM SURVEY SCHEDULED FOR WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3, 

Due to recent severe weather across our area, the National Weather
Service plans to conduct storm damage surveys later today,
Wednesday, April 3rd. We will be in contact with emergency
managers from affected counties to determine which locations will
need to be surveyed. 

If you have observed any weather-related damage, please report it
to the National Weather Service via severe weather reporting
methods or by calling 937-383-0031.

The storm survey information will also be available on our 
website at http://www.weather.gov/iln
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Hey Tim... saw this report out of Wausau from a local TV station. As of 8pm Central time last night, they picked up 3.0" of snow. I wish I could find an updated report since the upper low provided snow all night long for that area.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I found an updated total Tim.

Code: Select all

Preliminary Local Storm Report
National Weather Service Green Bay WI
538 AM CDT Wed Apr 3 2024

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0357 AM     Snow             Wausau                  44.96N 89.63W
04/03/2024  M3.6 Inch        Marathon           WI   Broadcast Media

3.1 inches reported through midnight, with
            another 0.5 inch between midnight and 4 am.
            Report courtesy of WSAW-TV Wausau.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:30 am Hey Tim... saw this report out of Wausau from a local TV station. As of 8pm Central time last night, they picked up 3.0" of snow. I wish I could find an updated report since the upper low provided snow all night long for that area.
Good Morning Les and I will contact my son later. They may have got lucky and ended up on the lower end. He lives just northwest of downtown and it looked like the heaviest snow may have been to his east. Lucky for them its like when we get a big snow in March it will melt quickly. Next season my guess they will have more snow during winter and that kind of snow will stay on the ground weeks if not months some years
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:21 am
tron777 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:30 am Hey Tim... saw this report out of Wausau from a local TV station. As of 8pm Central time last night, they picked up 3.0" of snow. I wish I could find an updated report since the upper low provided snow all night long for that area.
Good Morning Les and I will contact my son later. They may have got lucky and ended up on the lower end. He lives just northwest of downtown and it looked like the heaviest snow may have been to his east. Lucky for them its like when we get a big snow in March it will melt quickly. Next season my guess they will have more snow during winter and that kind of snow will stay on the ground weeks if not months some years
I think Green Bay got hit pretty good. Saw a lot of reports of thundersnow last night out of that area.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

April 3rd is a date that is always a big part of my life. 50 years ago the number one weather event in my life was taking place. More important about April 3rd in 1980 my wife and I dated for the first time and to my shock I am still with her to this date. I thought she would of kicked me out several years ago lol
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

3 day total of 2.00” here. My trek through Clermont county had numerous areas of mud and debris washed onto the roads and plenty of people’s sloped gravel driveways with deep ruts of missing gravel
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Agree 100% - I am quite glad that second round happened because it would have been ugly if we would have had even another hour or two of sunshine. Folks down in far SE Ohio/E Kentucky/West Virginia are cleaning up from the mini derecho that blew through there yesterday morning with 90+ mph winds - may have been one of the dominos to keep us from getting too out of hand yesterday in setting up the mesoscale features.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Got a little over 1 1/2 inches of rainfall. Last evening barely a drop with the final round though many folks got pounded with rain. I saw Columbus,Oh got over 3 inches. A general 1-4 across the area but sure some folks exceeded the 4 inches. That is why predicting precip totals is never easy and almost always a bigger range is needed.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Event total here was 1.39". Sitting at 42 now. Honestly the best storm in my hood yesterday was the one that hit earlier in the morning with 50+ mph winds and lots of lightning. Most of the afternoon storms missed to my south.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I think as a whole, we did well forecasting the event. We tried not to hype it up too much but at the same time, we stressed the importance of not letting our guard down just in case. Luckily, things occurred the way they did so only a few folks were impacted instead of numerous people (which the potential was there).

We will have more events to come thru early to mid May. I don't see this pattern changing all that much for April. We will rebound again temp wise and get a warm front on Monday for the eclipse. Timing is everything in terms of cloud cover and hopefully we can address this in the eclipse thread a little more in the coming days.

I expect 70 or so by Tues of next week along with a renewed chance of strong storms again. We look to have a front stall out again so another multiday rain event appears possible in the next week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

cloudy72 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:59 am
Agree 100% - I am quite glad that second round happened because it would have been ugly if we would have had even another hour or two of sunshine. Folks down in far SE Ohio/E Kentucky/West Virginia are cleaning up from the mini derecho that blew through there yesterday morning with 90+ mph winds - may have been one of the dominos to keep us from getting too out of hand yesterday in setting up the mesoscale features.

This is one of the reasons that made 74 outbreak what it was. The atmosphere was capped and allowed cape to reach near 2500, until things exploded. Yesterday,No cap in place yesterday to allow showers/storms to develop throughout the day and taming an otherwise explosive setup
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!