April 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: April 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

12Z HRRR also looking very nasty for the same time frame - 4 or 5pm tomorrow afternoon.

hrrr_2024040112_033_39.0--84.73.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:19 am 12Z HRRR also looking very nasty for the same time frame - 4 or 5pm tomorrow afternoon.
Very concerning indeed. Can't wait to see the day 2 outlook update this afternoon. Almost have to think a MOD risk needs to be added somewhere.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:21 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:19 am 12Z HRRR also looking very nasty for the same time frame - 4 or 5pm tomorrow afternoon.
Very concerning indeed. Can't wait to see the day 2 outlook update this afternoon. Almost have to think a MOD risk needs to be added somewhere.
If it were me doing the updated Day 2 Outlook, I'd probably draw the enhanced risk up to I-70 and have a portion of the Mod risk drawn in from near Cincy down towards Central and SKY.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CVG dropped to 56 with A dew of 51. Boundary must have slipped south a bit more. Winds are dead out of the east.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

12z HRRR seems to be off it's rocker :o This is as bad as it gets, let's hope this is way overdone otherwise we will have major problems.....

hrrr-indiana-sig_tor-2088000.png

12z 3km NAM a tad less explosive, still yikes! Red letter day in the cards for tomorrow it seems.

nam-nest-indiana-sig_tor-2088000.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Tuesday evening - HRRR
hrrr-cincinnati-refc-2098800.png
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It's going to depend on what happens with the overnight MCS that comes into our area after midnight tonight. How long does that action take to move thru tomorrow morning? How much CAPE can we get built up as a result? I think the bulk shear and helicity will be very good for big storms. We'll have to see how far north the boundary gets tomorrow that is currently stalled out just to our south.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:41 am It's going to depend on what happens with the overnight MCS that comes into our area after midnight tonight. How long does that action take to move thru tomorrow morning? How much CAPE can we get built up as a result? I think the bulk shear and helicity will be very good for big storms. We'll have to see how far north the boundary gets tomorrow that is currently stalled out just to our south.
Agreed - and I honestly hope we can work over the atmosphere earlier in the day to prevent these parameters from being realized later in the day.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:29 am CVG dropped to 56 with A dew of 51. Boundary must have slipped south a bit more. Winds are dead out of the east.
The boundary is just wavering and probably will much of the day and then expect a bigger push northward late in the afternoon or early evening. The winds are a bit on the cool side as well this morning. Already seeing the complex getting itself together over Missouri as moisture is pulled northward. This evening expect a rather big complex west of us with many warnings and then it will head east. Timing locally looks like maybe rush hour Tuesday morning and again that 4a-9a period always a time to watch and not so much for severe storms though heavier rains can occur. How long does that complex last over the area and really talking about cloud cover on Tuesday. If the clouds stay in tact well into the afternoon that should cut down the severe risk somewhat but still with the front itself some severe weather. If we clear out earlier in the day and get several hours of heating then the severe risk will no doubt go up. Of course by this evening more of a now cast as things ramp up but the short term models will hopefully pin down some of the higher risk areas.

So far for the year we are about 4 degrees above normal and precip wise just about average. Always nice to get rain in the spring but we don't want to see our monthly average in one system.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:44 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:41 am It's going to depend on what happens with the overnight MCS that comes into our area after midnight tonight. How long does that action take to move thru tomorrow morning? How much CAPE can we get built up as a result? I think the bulk shear and helicity will be very good for big storms. We'll have to see how far north the boundary gets tomorrow that is currently stalled out just to our south.
Agreed - and I honestly hope we can work over the atmosphere earlier in the day to prevent these parameters from being realized later in the day.
No doubt Mike. This is one time where we want the data to be overdone. Without question! We do not need anymore damage occurring in our forecast area that is for sure.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:49 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:29 am CVG dropped to 56 with A dew of 51. Boundary must have slipped south a bit more. Winds are dead out of the east.
The boundary is just wavering and probably will much of the day and then expect a bigger push northward late in the afternoon or early evening. The winds are a bit on the cool side as well this morning. Already seeing the complex getting itself together over Missouri as moisture is pulled northward. This evening expect a rather big complex west of us with many warnings and then it will head east. Timing locally looks like maybe rush hour Tuesday morning and again that 4a-9a period always a time to watch and not so much for severe storms though heavier rains can occur. How long does that complex last over the area and really talking about cloud cover on Tuesday. If the clouds stay in tact well into the afternoon that should cut down the severe risk somewhat but still with the front itself some severe weather. If we clear out earlier in the day and get several hours of heating then the severe risk will no doubt go up. Of course by this evening more of a now cast as things ramp up but the short term models will hopefully pin down some of the higher risk areas.

So far for the year we are about 4 degrees above normal and precip wise just about average. Always nice to get rain in the spring but we don't want to see our monthly average in one system.
I assume that the LLJ should be kicking in tonight so that should give the boundary a bump to the north. Also models have the surface low riding along the front to our NW tomorrow so if the models are correct anyway, the boundary should bump northward tonight into tomorrow.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Just one extra item that I want to make clear that I may have missed. Even if we stay cloudy much of Tuesday folks west of us have a greater chance of seeing more sun so storms can fire up to the west even if we are cloudier longer. Sure if the sun comes out early here then that 3-7pm time period looks very active but even if we don't clear out before I believe the energy is able to gather itself to the southwest earlier in the day.

You try and put a number on how high the risk is for severe weather and never easy and if the scale was 1-10 on Tuesday I would probably have it at about a 7 which is high.
dce
EF4 Tornado

Post by dce »

cloudy72 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:32 am 12z HRRR seems to be off it's rocker :o This is as bad as it gets, let's hope this is way overdone otherwise we will have major problems.....

12z 3km NAM a tad less explosive, still yikes! Red letter day in the cards for tomorrow it seems.

I saw the first map on Twitter and my first thought was that this must be an April fools joke. Unfortunately it's not. The parameters just keep climbing the closer we get to this event. I pray this turns out to be overdone.
Doug

Huber Heights
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

dce wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am
cloudy72 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:32 am 12z HRRR seems to be off it's rocker :o This is as bad as it gets, let's hope this is way overdone otherwise we will have major problems.....

I saw the first map on Twitter and my first thought was that this must be an April fools joke. Unfortunately it's not. The parameters just keep climbing the closer we get to this event. I pray this turns out to be overdone.
Doug I believe what the main reason for the uptick is the main low is predicted to go further north and west and this brings in more fuel and keeps us ahead of the front several hours longer. I talked to my son yesterday and after the foot of snow they had early last week they expect more Tuesday night and Wednesday though in early April it will melt quickly
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:14 am
dce wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am

Doug I believe what the main reason for the uptick is the main low is predicted to go further north and west and this brings in more fuel and keeps us ahead of the front several hours longer. I talked to my son yesterday and after the foot of snow they had early last week they expect more Tuesday night and Wednesday though in early April it will melt quickly
I agree with Tim... great post Tim! With the low going NW of us, the best wind shear and helicity will be right along the path of the low and warm front... triple point. That zone could be over Eastern IN / SW Ohio or NKY. I think this is a big reason why the soundings are looking so ominous. If we see some sun and can get the CAPE to be in excess of 1000 or 1500 J/KG, then we will have some problems on our hands.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Hey Les and I have seen some soundings of Cape to 2000 west of here. That is big time and like you mentioned just getting to 1000 or so will cause problems
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I see they extended the flood watch from central Illinois to central Indiana. I know while we are in Brown County Indiana next weekend the guys are playing Salt Creek for a round of golf. That course floods very easily and hopefully by next Sunday the course will be playable. If that does not happen I guess I will need to force myself to have a few cocktails at the Cabin. Monday the 8th is not set in stone yet so hopefully the current system or systems slows down even more and maybe we can Monday in without clouds but this time of year not easy.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:49 am I see they extended the flood watch from central Illinois to central Indiana. I know while we are in Brown County Indiana next weekend the guys are playing Salt Creek for a round of golf. That course floods very easily and hopefully by next Sunday the course will be playable. If that does not happen I guess I will need to force myself to have a few cocktails at the Cabin. Monday the 8th is not set in stone yet so hopefully the current system or systems slows down even more and maybe we can Monday in without clouds but this time of year not easy.
That should mean that we see storms pop over MO getting into ILL later this afternoon and evening. Then, we get the MCS later tonight into early tomorrow morning. Then, we'll have to see how the atmosphere responds for Tues afternoon and evening.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

rhodesman88
Rain Shower

Post by rhodesman88 »

A couple of peeks of sun here in Clifton. #fuel
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Update from SPC

IMG_1641.jpeg

KS/MO/IL/IN through tonight
Scattered thunderstorm development is likely starting mid afternoon along the baroclinic zone from KS into MO, and storms will subsequently spread eastward along the warm front from MO into IL/IN. The environment will favor supercells capable of producing very large hail (2-3 inches in diameter) and a few tornadoes, with an isolated strong tornado possible. Storm mode will become messier into the overnight hours with upscale growth into clusters/line segments, with an increase in the threat for damaging winds (60-80 mph), and a continued threat for tornadoes (possibly up to EF2) with embedded/QLCS circulations.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
dce
EF4 Tornado

Post by dce »

Just went to a moderate risk in Oklahoma.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Visible is showing some thinning of the clouds.... it's trying anyway. Boundary has inched its way north a tad as well. Still S of CVG though.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CVG is back up to 64, with a dew of 56. Winds are now out of the SE so the boundary is moving into CVG Land now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF4 Tornado

Post by dce »

62 degrees/55 dew point KDAY. The boundary is north of Dayton as well.
Doug

Huber Heights
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Stationary front is right along river. Once it passes the river , shouldn’t take but a couple hours to get cape in NKY in the 1000 range
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!