March 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: March 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

56 currently at CVVG, 57 here. Time to crack open some beer and fire up the grill! Baked potato, sautéed onions, peppers, and garlic to go on top of a nice big ole thick, juicy ribeye steak! Dinner is served around 6:30 in case you're wondering.... TIM! :lol: ;) :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm 56 currently at CVG, 57 here. Time to crack open some beer and fire up the grill! Baked potato, sautéed onions, peppers, and garlic to go on top of a nice big ole thick, juicy ribeye steak! Dinner is served around 6:30 in case you're wondering.... TIM! :lol: ;) :)
Very jealous Les lol.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm 56 currently at CVG, 57 here. Time to crack open some beer and fire up the grill! Baked potato, sautéed onions, peppers, and garlic to go on top of a nice big ole thick, juicy ribeye steak! Dinner is served around 6:30 in case you're wondering.... TIM! :lol: ;) :)
Very jealous Les lol.
Steak and eggs Saturday morning it is for breakfast! I have a chunk of steak left, couldn't finish it all. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG got to 57 and both DAY / CMH 53 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

SPC ramping up language for Tuesday

Monday/Day 4
An upper-level trough is forecast to move eastward across the Four Corners region on Monday, as strong southwest mid-level flow remains in place from the southern Plains into the mid Mississippi Valley. Early in the day, an east-to-west boundary is forecast from northern Missouri eastward into the Ohio Valley, along which will likely focus elevated thunderstorm development from Monday morning into the afternoon. Large hail could occur with some of the more intense storms. The severe threat is expected to persist into the evening, and possibly into the overnight period as an MCS moves into the region from the west-southwest

Tuesday/Day 5
The upper-level system is forecast to move eastward into the Ozarks and mid Mississippi Valley on Tuesday. An associated cold front will likely move quickly eastward into the mid Mississippi Valley early in the day. Ahead of the front, a moist and unstable airmass is expected to be in place by midday, with scattered to numerous thunderstorms developing in the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys in the afternoon. The mid-level jet is forecast to move into the Ohio Valley by late afternoon, suggesting that a widespread severe threat will be possible. Strong deep-layer shear and lift associated with the jet would be favorable for supercells with a threat for wind damage, large hail and some tornadoes.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney I agree with their thought process. This system or lets say several pieces of energy over the next 5 days or so looks to be a pattern changer. Can we get some decent rains without the severe portion and not sure but when you see a front just sitting around waiting gathering moisture and just waiting for other elements to arrive then it raises your attention. Timing as always is important but it looks like we may have more then one chance of getting some strong to severe storms. Once we get the front through we get a brief cold spell Wednesday and Thursday before we go into a much nicer spring time pattern next weekend and hopefully through the 8th of April
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I know many folks on here I heard stories about April 3rd 1974 with the tornado outbreak and to this day its my number one weather event. I was 12 at the time and loved the weather like I do today. Of course some of the memories fade as you get older but this one stands out. Of course we were coming out of the winter season and that day is still one of the hottest days I remember. My guess is the change from winter to spring and the humidity had just climbed so fast the body was not adjusting that quickly but I can remember sweating all day long and of course no A/C. I remember just standing outside and watching funnel clouds just drop out of the sky in the mid-late Afternoon. I lived in Taylor Mill Ky at the time and though we did not have a tornado touch down it was a day that saw one of the worst outbreaks in our local area.

I hope we never see this type of day again
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tpweather wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 am Bgoney I agree with their thought process. This system or lets say several pieces of energy over the next 5 days or so looks to be a pattern changer. Can we get some decent rains without the severe portion and not sure but when you see a front just sitting around waiting gathering moisture and just waiting for other elements to arrive then it raises your attention. Timing as always is important but it looks like we may have more then one chance of getting some strong to severe storms. Once we get the front through we get a brief cold spell Wednesday and Thursday before we go into a much nicer spring time pattern next weekend and hopefully through the 8th of April
Tim, a good Good Friday to you, and no doubt things will be interesting next week . Even if the timing is bad on Tuesday, shear will be in the robust 60ish range , if the timing is better shear could be an incredible 80ish+ range , and with the moisture already present as you said, somewhere in the OV or TennV or both, will be under the gun.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am
tpweather wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:43 am Bgoney I agree with their thought process. This system or lets say several pieces of energy over the next 5 days or so looks to be a pattern changer. Can we get some decent rains without the severe portion and not sure but when you see a front just sitting around waiting gathering moisture and just waiting for other elements to arrive then it raises your attention. Timing as always is important but it looks like we may have more then one chance of getting some strong to severe storms. Once we get the front through we get a brief cold spell Wednesday and Thursday before we go into a much nicer spring time pattern next weekend and hopefully through the 8th of April
Tim, a good Good Friday to you, and no doubt things will be interesting next week . Even if the timing is bad on Tuesday, shear will be in the robust 60ish range , if the timing is better shear could be an incredible 80ish+ range , and with the moisture already present as you said, somewhere in the OV or TennV or both, will be under the gun.
Good Friday to you as well Bgoney. Sunday should be interesting depending where the front stalls. Big difference in temps likely with 50's north of the front and no doubt 70's south. This should allow for storms to form Sunday afternoon and Sunday night.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all and a Happy Good Friday to you! Going to smoke some rainbow trout today that should be ready by the time my Brother and Mom get back from KY Lake with the kids later today. My Aunt from Michigan is also coming down today to spend Easter with us.

I have no changes to the weekend forecast. Next week certainly is gaining steam from a severe wx standpoint as you guys have been beautifully covering for us.SPC has us in a severe wx risk for Easter thru Tues of next week. For Easter, it is currently a marginal risk. Some interesting times ahead as the front stalls over the area before finally passing Tues night. Still could see some chilly backside showers on Wed in a post frontal environment. Tim mentioned that previously and I am in agreement.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Les the trout sounds wonderful. Two of my friends went fishing in Alaska several years ago and sent back salmon and put that on the grill and the best fish I ever had. Making me hungry already and its not even 9am. We have Easter at my brother-n-laws Sunday afternoon and tons of food and of course the ham and maybe some nice refreshments. I hope the showers and thundershowers hold off on Sunday but we are so close to the front but living a little further south helps though even south of the front storms can pop but not as widespread.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

My son who lives just north of hwy 29 is on the border tonight of a winter weather advisory for frz/rain and snow. Not a big storm by any means but frz/rain is always a concern.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am Les the trout sounds wonderful. Two of my friends went fishing in Alaska several years ago and sent back salmon and put that on the grill and the best fish I ever had. Making me hungry already and its not even 9am. We have Easter at my brother-n-laws Sunday afternoon and tons of food and of course the ham and maybe some nice refreshments. I hope the showers and thundershowers hold off on Sunday but we are so close to the front but living a little further south helps though even south of the front storms can pop but not as widespread.
Thanks Tim! I have the trout in some brine right now. Then I'll take it out in a little while to let it dry. Then put it in the smoker for 1-2 hours... internal temp of 145 or 150 then bingo!

I am kind of glad we are doing our Easter Egg Hunt with the kids tomorrow this year instead of traditionally on Easter Sunday due to the rain chances. If we see anything it'll be tomorrow morning as the front comes north as a warm front then stalls north of us. Then it sinks back south on Sunday stalling for Mon and Tues. Would love to see 1-2" of rain but will play the low card route and only go with an inch at this time. We don't yet know where the best zone is yet for the convection but we do have a general idea. Our hoods... :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

What a gorgeous Good Friday we have for today though. No wind, sunshine... perfect day to smoke the trout. :) I hope everyone can get out and enjoy it. Glad I have the day off from work for a change on a nice day.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

BG StormTalk!

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

wxpatriot1
Rain Shower

Post by wxpatriot1 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 am I know many folks on here I heard stories about April 3rd 1974 with the tornado outbreak and to this day its my number one weather event. I was 12 at the time and loved the weather like I do today. Of course some of the memories fade as you get older but this one stands out. Of course we were coming out of the winter season and that day is still one of the hottest days I remember. My guess is the change from winter to spring and the humidity had just climbed so fast the body was not adjusting that quickly but I can remember sweating all day long and of course no A/C. I remember just standing outside and watching funnel clouds just drop out of the sky in the mid-late Afternoon. I lived in Taylor Mill Ky at the time and though we did not have a tornado touch down it was a day that saw one of the worst outbreaks in our local area.

I hope we never see this type of day again
Tim,

We may have discussed this before, but it is my main weather event as well. The day was unusually humid, and you could just feel that something was odd about the weather. We had received golf ball sized hail that damaged one of our cars at about 4:00-4:30pm. The NWS issued more tornado watches back then and we never took them too seriously. As I stared out the window, my dad said sarcastically, "see any funnel clouds out there?" I looked up and saw a large funnel cloud on the ground headed straight for our house (it was crossing the river by Saylor Park). As it clobbered a street named Danville (levelling every home, except the one where a family recently loss their daughter), it made its way across South Road where it destroyed many homes. My dad stood on the porch watching as I screamed for him to come inside and go to the basement, which he finally did. The tornado seemed to me to make a turn from directly hitting our neighborhood to crossing over South Rd (Idk but I think its path altered as it crossed a hill by Danville and then traversed over South Rd).

The tornado then lost some strength as it neared Cheviot. Houses on Bridgetown (where a former regular poster lives) were damaged. As it got closer to Cheviot, it turned into a rope.

Here is what sticks out. The school I attended (OLV-Our Lady of Visitation) was damaged. The news reporters reported that the tornado left a war zone, and they did not see how anyone could have survived. Of course, in my head, I frantically inventoried who among my classmates lived in its path. I thought half my class and a good number of people our family knew at OLV had died. Fortunately, that was not the case. Every house had a basement. There were a handful of deaths (a person died when their vehicle was blown over), but it was not a mass casualty event. There were some injuries. The most severe involved a family whose basement beam collapsed on them, but their injuries were not life threatening.

I won a science award for doing a project on the outbreak of April 3, 1974, in high school (nobody will be able to guess where that was...). In high school, a few students started a "weather club." A member of that weather club did earn his meteorology degree (not many colleges had that degree--Ohio University, St. Louis, and tOSU, I think were the only schools that had it back then) and was a poster on here, but I have not seen him post recently. He provided updates on the Ohio River stages. It is the 50th anniversary this year and a friend that lived on Danville indicated they might get together, which apparently is something that was often done every year by that group to commemorate the event.

I think it would be exciting to see another tornado, but NOT like this. Maybe in an open field where nothing is damaged. Looking forward to spring!
Ron
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Wow! That's an incredible account, Ron! Thanks for sharing it. I know there are a handful, maybe even up to a dozen people on here who have stories and / or memories of the tornado outbreak. I have never experienced what Trev did either back in April of 99. I did see a funnel cloud once pass by to my North and it did eventually touch down along Turfway Rd in Florence. Also seen massive straight line winds bend over our Drive thru Sign when I worked for Hardee's during the Nov of 92 event. A couple of golf ball sized hail events and that's probably been my bigger severe wx events that I have witnessed. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

That 74 event is probably why I’m a weather nut fascinated with how weather works. I remember going outside and collecting the golf ball to baseball size hail that every 13 year old would do, right? In my defense , the sun was shining as it was happening ( is there such a thing as a hailbow?) From mid afternoon to early evening every little shower that popped was a rotating cell with large hail or high winds or a funnel cloud/tornado
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Ron,Bgoney those are great stories and of course I would not go inside though my area did not get touched by a tornado but I just kept looking around at all the funnel clouds. Never had a weather club but my sophomore year I had a Psychology class 1st hour and found out my teacher loved the weather and this was 1976-77 so the winters were great. We started talking about weather sometime in November and I would guess 2 out of every 5 days we talked about the weather while the other kids slept. The class was already easy but for me it was one class I never wanted to miss.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

The CMC pounds the area over the next five days with 2-4 inches while the gfs is more in line of 1-2 with higher amounts further north.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Euro has 1-2" of rain and some non-accum backlash rain and snow showers thru early Thurs morning. Wow! A changeable weather forecast story unfolding over the next week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

wxpatriot1
Rain Shower

Post by wxpatriot1 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 pm Ron,Bgoney those are great stories and of course I would not go inside though my area did not get touched by a tornado but I just kept looking around at all the funnel clouds. Never had a weather club but my sophomore year I had a Psychology class 1st hour and found out my teacher loved the weather and this was 1976-77 so the winters were great. We started talking about weather sometime in November and I would guess 2 out of every 5 days we talked about the weather while the other kids slept. The class was already easy but for me it was one class I never wanted to miss.
Well, we know we are old when we can remember that rising and falling air pressure was part of the regular weather forecast. Those winters in the latter half of the 1970's were great. As I recall, 76-77, and 77-78 were cold and snowy and each was followed by a beautiful spring.
Ron
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Farmer’s have been going gangbusters working up the fields the last couple days out this way
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Most of the trees IMBY are leafing out minus the oaks and black walnut. Oaks will be the last.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I hit 70! :o
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page