December 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: December 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

12Z NAM seems to be the furthest north with the ULL (although not far enough). It tracks the ULL thru KY whereas the overnight GFS had it over TN. Still some differences in the guidance which you would expect since today is only Tuesday. Overnight CMC was a good blend between the two while the Euro was more like the GFS.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Longer term talk:

Per the Aussies, the MJO is now in Phase 1 as of 12/24 and at a decent amplitude. AO and NAO are now negative are are expected to stay there thru the next 2 weeks. PNA is positive but it will drop towards neutral in time. I think we will have chances in the first 10 days of January. After that we may go thru a brief warm spell where we await the impacts of the SSW later in the month. The MJO may go into the warmer phases again as well. We'll see. For now, let's see if we can cash in during the 1st 10 days of the new year.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z GFS is a tad further to the north with the ULL, but not nearly enough to help us out at this time.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Euro is weaker, but also a bump north with the ULL. Again, not far enough north to help us out.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Even if the low takes the best path , there are so many obstacles to overcome
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:22 pm Even if the low takes the best path , there are so many obstacles to overcome
I wish the ULL was stronger. It would make cold air production more easy. This ULL is not one of the strongest in the world. Also, the amount of precip isn't as good as it was a couple of days ago. Third surface temps and ground temps aren't very cold. Does that about cover it? :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

ENSO weekly update from CPC

IMG_1127.jpeg
IMG_1126.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:31 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:16 am Good morning all! I'm alive and kicking... well somewhat. :lol: I just got a chance to look at the overnight models and the ULL is indeed south of us unfortunately. So a few rain and snow showers are all we are going to get should that hold as you guys have already mentioned.
Homemade chicken-noodle soup should give you a boost.
For Christmas Day lunch my folks and I had some Chunky chicken-noodle soup, Jello cups, and iced tea since my mom has a cold. This morning I started feeling like I have a cold, too. Prayerfully we'll feel much better soon.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:38 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:16 am Good morning all! I'm alive and kicking... well somewhat. :lol: I just got a chance to look at the overnight models and the ULL is indeed south of us unfortunately. So a few rain and snow showers are all we are going to get should that hold as you guys have already mentioned.
True. It's just when I am sick, I never feel like eating. Under normal circumstances, I like to eat LOL
Same with my mom, Bro. Today I feel like I'm coming down with one, too.

Prayerfully we'll all feel much better soon! :thumbupright:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:50 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:38 am
True. It's just when I am sick, I never feel like eating. Under normal circumstances, I like to eat LOL
Same with my mom, Bro. Today I feel like I'm coming down with one, too.

Prayerfully we'll all feel much better soon! :thumbupright:
My Mom is sick too and the local Dr. office is so busy right now, she had to get a virtual visit online. I think a lot of sicknesses are running around right now. Hopefully, we all start to feel better soon!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:22 pm Even if the low takes the best path , there are so many obstacles to overcome
True! This is a tricky setup since we don’t have a cold airmass in place. The factors that Les mentioned are spot on.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Been drizzling/light rain here since about 1pm
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

52 here with mostly cloudy skies. Warmest it has been all day.

EDIT: Sun is out now lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

IMG_1129.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

18Z GFS has a little rain / snow mix on NYD. Too bad the upper low does not phase with the southern slider.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z EPS in its long range is active and just cold enough for snow. Many members show a monster snow storm in the January 6-8th time frame. Check out the snowfall mean lol

EPS.png
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good evening from tropical Northern Wisconsin where the current temp is 35. No snow though they are trying to make some on the highest hills and maybe ready for folks this weekend. Have not look at anything being on the road today but hopefully by Wednesday morning I will have enough time to take a guess lol. Opening presents on Wednesday and will head back home on Saturday. Hope everyone starts feeling better and we have grandchild that is sick but most everyone else is doing fine.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:12 pm Good evening from tropical Northern Wisconsin where the current temp is 35. No snow though they are trying to make some on the highest hills and maybe ready for folks this weekend. Have not look at anything being on the road today but hopefully by Wednesday morning I will have enough time to take a guess lol. Opening presents on Wednesday and will head back home on Saturday. Hope everyone starts feeling better and we have grandchild that is sick but most everyone else is doing fine.
Glad to hear that you made it there safely Tim! Enjoy the time with your family. Hopefully, you will bring back some good model juju! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Overnight models are more supportive of snow, and I think our best window would be tomorrow night into Friday morning and even Friday night into Saturday morning for any accumulations. Sun down and colder temps. Not really going to change my forecast at this point. Sticking with mixed rain and snow showers with little to no accumulation. We’ll see what the 12z guidance shows in order to make any necessary forecast adjustments.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Got a bonus .25” from yesterday’s gloomy day . I’ll take every bit I can get
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:17 am Overnight models are more supportive of snow, and I think our best window would be tomorrow night into Friday morning and even Friday night into Saturday morning for any accumulations. Sun down and colder temps. Not really going to change my forecast at this point. Sticking with mixed rain and snow showers with little to no accumulation. We’ll see what the 12z guidance shows in order to make any necessary forecast adjustments.
Good morning Trev... it still looks marginal to me and the heavier precip remains to our west and SW closer to the ULL. Hope to see the 12Z guidance change but as of this post I am not very enthusiastic.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning to all! Let's all wish a very happy birthday to Joe! Hope you have a great day!!! The weather looks nice for it with some sunshine later on and highs near 50, but I am sure you would rather see some snow. :lol:

:birthdaymulticolor: :birthday: :balloons: :candle:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I just got done looking over the overnight guidance, and I don't really see any snowy signals on the Operational models in the extended range, but the Ensembles do look pretty good! The EPS in particular looks very interesting with several shortwaves coming through the area with a -EPO and -NAO signatures. The GEFS is not quite as nice as the EPS, but still a very workable pattern. It is too far out in weather model time to know exactly what will happen but I still have hope for snow at some point during the first 10 days of the new year.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

HB WSJ!!!!

Almost out of this awful temp regime, and going into the closer to (average)normal air mass. ATM looks like it goes to the 10th+-. Not venturing past that , only to say by then Canada (southern) gets near normal, a huge improvement, should have slight -NAO another improvement. Just a matter of getting a proper sustaining -EPO, which ensembles have backed off of atm , just talking airmass , doesn’t mean we can’t see snow chances
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Happy Birthday Joe! Not much happening in the short range except a pesky upper low sort of floating around the center of the country. Sure we can get a quick dusting if the snow happens overnight especially Thursday into Friday but road temps still above the 32 degree mark. Longer term and its funny in a neutral enso pattern the gfs loves to throw out those snow storms days in advance which usually never happen. With the current El Nino the gfs seldom throws those out. Why and not sure exactly but comes down to getting the two jets to play ball and playing in our backyard. That is why I believe some of the bigger storms this season will be sort of last minute storms and the models see it in the 2-4 day range. Not easy following each piece of energy but I do watch the ones that head into southwest that bring with it tons of energy. Sometimes these get torn apart by the mountains but form once again if the core is not totally ripped apart.

Still believe the first 10 days or so of the month we get a couple of chances of snow and then do we see a break in the action. Still the lack of snow on the ground north and west of us is a concern because air masses can warm up quickly without the snow cover. We will have some of the tellies in our favor but if the mjo continues to move does it end up heading towards the warm phases or head back into the COD. The SSW event and what happens with this can make or break a seasonal forecast.