BBQ / Smoker / Deep Frying Thread

Share your recipes and cooking techniques. Whether you grill, use a smoker, or deep fry. We've got it all here to make your mouth water!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: BBQ / Smoker / Deep Frying Thread

Post by tron777 »

Got a free brisket off of a buddy of mine so going to fire up the smoker on Thursday our only dry day of the week. :lol:

Going to rub it with salt and pepper and let is sit overnight Then inject it with beef a broth mixture, garlic, onion powder. Then will apply a dry rub on the outside before putting it on the smoker. Then will wrap it with brown sugar and butter mixture for the final tenderization process.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

33829.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

With the nice weather comes more outdoor cooking! Let's get this thread fired up folks! What are some of your favorites to grill, cook, smoke, deep fry, other technique??? I did a pork butt not too long ago. Probably due for another rack or two of ribs. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Going to do a pork butt for my Fireworks Party on my smoker tomorrow. I will inject it this evening with some apple juice and spices, and throw a rub on it tomorrow then get my fire going! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:26 am Going to do a pork butt for my Fireworks Party on my smoker tomorrow. I will inject it this evening with some apple juice and spices, and throw a rub on it tomorrow then get my fire going! :thumbsup:
Sounds really good, Les! I need to move to your hood! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:58 am
tron777 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:26 am Going to do a pork butt for my Fireworks Party on my smoker tomorrow. I will inject it this evening with some apple juice and spices, and throw a rub on it tomorrow then get my fire going! :thumbsup:
Absolutely! This hood lights it up around the 4th... with me being the biggest display of course. ;) We eat good too! :lol: I'll be grilling hot dogs, brats, and jalapeno cheese dogs also on Saturday. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:14 am
Absolutely! This hood lights it up around the 4th... with me being the biggest display of course. ;) We eat good too! :lol: I'll be grilling hot dogs, brats, and jalapeno cheese dogs also on Saturday. :)
Awesome Les, that's what it is all about, celebration baby!!!!!
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:01 am
tron777 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:14 am
Awesome Les, that's what it is all about, celebration baby!!!!!
It is going to be awesome! I'm like a kid at Christmas, I'm so excited! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

My better half made a meatloaf with Zucchini as an ingredient and I must say it was delicious. The original recipe called for ground turkey and Zucchini but I'm not a turkey fan so she used ground beef(which we get from the Amish) and as I said , it was delicious
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:11 am My better half made a meatloaf with Zucchini as an ingredient and I must say it was delicious. The original recipe called for ground turkey and Zucchini but I'm not a turkey fan so she used ground beef(which we get from the Amish) and as I said , it was delicious
I'll have to try that, sounds awesome! I also like slicing zucchini very thin and putting a bunch of it in a glass baking dish, then on top of it layer pizza sauce, mozzarella, cheese, and pepperoni. Delicious! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I did 2 racks of ribs over the Labor Day weekend when I was at my Brother's helping him work on the deck., My cousin and his wife came down from MI to assist as well. Anyway, I did them the way I always do. Start off with a slathering of butter and mustard, then my dry rub. Put them on the smoker 275 degrees (these had some meat on them, not like the baby backs. Would go 250 for baby backs).. Anyway after 3 hours of smoking, I wrapped them in foil, but before doing so, I did the butter and brown sugar trick as described in my brisket post earlier in this thread. My oh my did it come out great and add to the flavor! So tender with the bones just falling right off the meat. Used my Mom's home made bbq sauce at the end. There were no leftovers! Probably the best ribs I have ever done with that little tweak! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

For deep frying... love to deep fry walleye, fries, onion rings, mushrooms etc. We like to use a beer batter mainly although my Brother uses the dry stuff (Andy's I think it is called) for a heathier alternative. For the beer batter: Use flour, fry crisp (NOT corn meal YUCK!), a touch of baking powder (adds crunchiness) whatever spices you want, like pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, a little dried parsley, etc. Mix that up then add beer. The longer it sits the more thick it gets. But add the beer until you get the consistency that you want. Heat up your oil to around 350 degrees and get fryin'! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

This coming Sunday, I'm going to cook a whole chicken on the smoker. I'm going to start by rubbing some olive oil on the outside of the chicken. This serves as two purposes. It will soften the skin a little bit so it doesn't come out all tough and leathery. Second, it adds moisture and gives your rub something to stick too.

Next step will be to apply a generous rub. I'll keep it simple here by using salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, paprika, and probably some dried herbs I have from the garden. As the chicken is smoking at around 275 degrees... After about 45 mins, I'll spray some butter on it to keep it moist and it will also keep the skin nice and tasty so it doesn't toughen up. Once we are an hour and a half in, I'll do it again. Etc etc... until 2-3 hours have passed. The chicken should be done by then. Take it off the smoker, let is rest for about 30 mins. Slice and serve! Should come out nice and moist / tender with a bite thru skin. You can crank up the smoker to 400-500 degrees the last 8-10 mins if you want crispier skin. Your choice.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Doing some of my famous baby back ribs today! A great day weather wise, for using the smoker. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

46378.jpeg
46377.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Looks awesome Les! 8-)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:01 pm Looks awesome Les! 8-)
It was super tender!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Did some country ribs and baby backs today and my best cook yet! Super tender, fall off the bone and sweet with a bit of heat for the sauce! :thumbsup: The process for my ribs was to put mustard and butter on the outside and then my rub. Uncovered for 3 hours then wrapped in a layer of brown sugar, honey and butter for 3 more hours. Then sauce and back on smoker for additional 30 mins. uncovered to let the sauce set. Let rest and enjoy. Ran smoker at 300 degrees.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:24 am This coming Sunday, I'm going to cook a whole chicken on the smoker. I'm going to start by rubbing some olive oil on the outside of the chicken. This serves as two purposes. It will soften the skin a little bit so it doesn't come out all tough and leathery. Second, it adds moisture and gives your rub something to stick too.

Next step will be to apply a generous rub. I'll keep it simple here by using salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, paprika, and probably some dried herbs I have from the garden. As the chicken is smoking at around 275 degrees... After about 45 mins, I'll spray some butter on it to keep it moist and it will also keep the skin nice and tasty so it doesn't toughen up. Once we are an hour and a half in, I'll do it again. Etc etc... until 2-3 hours have passed. The chicken should be done by then. Take it off the smoker, let is rest for about 30 mins. Slice and serve! Should come out nice and moist / tender with a bite thru skin. You can crank up the smoker to 400-500 degrees the last 8-10 mins if you want crispier skin. Your choice.
I'm going to do a whole chicken again on Saturday. I am going to marinate the chicken overnight using a bottle of lemon pepper. You can buy it at the grocery store. The rest of the quoted post procedure wise, will be done after that. Should turn out to be awesome! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'm making my Grandpa Rhoads's famous shikabob. You have the usual veggies, tomatoes, pineapple, onions, green peppers mushrooms etc along with steak. Put it on the grill and smoke it up. Cook it about half way. Give it a little char. Then put his secret tomato based bbq sauce on it. Throw it in the oven to tenderize the veggies and serve! He always served it over mashed potatoes lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page