Hello All! :-)

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Hello All! :-)

Post by MVWxObserver »

Hello AV Wxbuddies! :)

Life can sure take a wild turn but I thank the Lord everyday as He has and continues to guide me through it all. :thumbsup:

My sister Retha came up Mt Airy, NC on a planned trip to help our folks and myself continue to get organized since our Oct move from north Greenville to the south party of the city. She arrived Sat Nov 4th and by Sun afternoon Nov 5th my right eye started getting worse via a detached retina. :o I told my folks that aftn that it was getting worse and so my dad called an emergency # for Whitewater Eye Associates based out of Carmel, IN east of Indy. A weekend eye doctor replied a few minutes later and told my dad to get me to the Carmel Beltway Whitewater office by 9 AM that next day Mon Nov 6th. Some pics were taken of my eye that morning and my ophthalmologist surgeon Dr Mark Kahr recommended surgery and scheduled it for 7 AM on Election Day at the Beltway Surgery Center also there in Carmel. My sister Retha is truly a Godsend as when we notified her and mom, they were able to pack a couple overnight bags and some outfits for dad and I and so then met them halfway at Pendleton, IN. :grouphug: We had a meal at a DQ there and then before parting ways we also had prayer together. :) Dad had made some reservations for us at Holiday Inn earlier that day on Mon and it was very nice accommodations as it is just a few short minutes from both the Beltway Whitewater Eye Associates and also the Beltway Surgery Center. :thumbupleft: The Lord works in mysterious ways as He used my sister in this medical mission situation. :heartbeating: The Lord brought me through the surgery wonderfully and although my eye looks like I've gotten in a rumble with George Foreman, it is gradually healing nicely. :thumbupright: For a while I take 2 different kinds of medicated eye drops 3 times daily. :thumbsup:

For a week I was instructed post-surgically to not do any reading, writing, and / or keyboarding e.g. as that would have been detrimental to my recovery early on. I had a followup with Dr Kahr on Wed AM Nov 8th and then after lunch at an MCL Cafeteria in Carmel, dad and I headed home back to Greenville. :) Mom and Retha came to Carmel on Election Day during my surgery and after I was discharged from the outpatient center we had lunch at a Cheesecake Factory. :) I will have another followup with Dr Kahr on Wed AM Nov 22nd at 9 o'clock at Carmel. Along with my folks, my sister Retha is a truly a blessing! :grouphug: :heartbeating: Am so very thankful everyday for my family members and also my friends and for all that that they do including their prayers! :grouphug: :heartbeating:

Retha also was able to help us with getting reorganized since our move and bless her heart, too, with the extra driving she did on those trips to and from Indiana. :thumbupright: She went back home to NC on Thurs Nov 9th.

Eric
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Hello All! :-)

Post by tron777 »

I wondered where you went, Bro! I am so thankful that your eye is healing good and that you made it thru the surgery ok! :thumbsup: I know all about detached retina's since I am blind in my right eye. I am very thankful that you can still see out of both. :) I'm also glad that your sister was able to help you out. Glad to see you back on the forum too since our pattern is finally starting to get more active.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:34 pm I wondered where you went, Bro! I am so thankful that your eye is healing good and that you made it thru the surgery ok! :thumbsup: I know all about detached retina's since I am blind in my right eye. I am very thankful that you can still see out of both. :) I'm also glad that your sister was able to help you out. Glad to see you back on the forum too since our pattern is finally starting to get more active.
Thank you very much Les! :) You have been on my mind through this experience, Bro, as you are quite inspirational to me. :thumbupright: I wear an eye guard at night for a while I sleep.

As you know for us weather weenies its like a "drug" withdrawal when for some reason we're not able to post for a while and truly have missed the discussion and fellowship with everywxone! :thumbupleft: :thumbupright:

Its wonderful to be back Bro! :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:59 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:34 pm I wondered where you went, Bro! I am so thankful that your eye is healing good and that you made it thru the surgery ok! :thumbsup: I know all about detached retina's since I am blind in my right eye. I am very thankful that you can still see out of both. :) I'm also glad that your sister was able to help you out. Glad to see you back on the forum too since our pattern is finally starting to get more active.
Thank you very much Les! :) You have been on my mind through this experience, Bro, as you are quite inspirational to me. :thumbupright: I wear an eye guard at night for a while I sleep.

As you know for us weather weenies its like a "drug" withdrawal when for some reason we're not able to post for a while and truly have missed the discussion and fellowship with everywxone! :thumbupleft: :thumbupright:

Its wonderful to be back Bro! :)
Thanks Eric! I appreciate that. Just like with any health issue or disability (whatever you want to call it) you learn to adapt. My depth perception is off and I may bump into things sometimes in the house (like a wall LOL) but it is what it is. I can still drive a car just fine and as you know I am in IT so I am constantly on a computer. I have 20/20 vision in my left eye after I got my cataract removed back in Feb of 2020 right before Covid hit. I just use the old man dollar store readers now. :)

But yeah... this forum is absolutely like a drug for me. Especially more so now with winter right around the corner. My favorite time of the year is approaching!!!!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

Eric, I live pretty close, relatively speaking. I'm retired and am available for anything you and your family need - transportation, grocery shopping, whatever...
Reach out to me if you need anything and I will help you!!!
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

snowbo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:38 pm Eric, I live pretty close, relatively speaking. I'm retired and am available for anything you and your family need - transportation, grocery shopping, whatever...
Reach out to me if you need anything and I will help you!!!
Thank you very much for the wonderful offer, Bo, but we're doing fine with those areas. :)
Wxlrnr
Heavy Rain

Post by Wxlrnr »

Hi Eric, I know how scary emergency eye surgeries can be. My wife went to see a surgeon at CEI for cataracts a couple of years ago. She knew she had glaucoma but thought it was being controlled. Turned out she was having major issues. Her eye pressures kept jumping around, and we made many visits, almost daily for a couple weeks and lots of drops trying to get it under control. One day the doctor did some tests and drops and then had us sit for an hour or so to see what happens. On the recheck, her pressure in one eye had soared to 40, not supposed to be more than 20. The doctor had some quick pictures and taken of the retina and a test of her vision fields. Turned out the glaucoma was damaging her retina and she had lost a portion of her sight. The doctor was scheduled to have afternoon surgery, he pushed all of his patients back and a frantic hour later she was on the surgery table and had the cataracts removed and a tube placed in her eye to release the pressure. Fortunately, the surgery went well and she had the other eye done a couple of weeks later. Some minor issues appeared later, due to some of the medications, but now seems to be doing well and only having check-ups every 2 to 3 months.

I am glad your doctor and family were able to be there for you and make the emergency less stressful. Take care and follow the drops schedule. They can work wonders. Linn.
Hyde Park, Cincinnati.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Wxlrnr wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:45 pm Hi Eric, I know how scary emergency eye surgeries can be. My wife went to see a surgeon at CEI for cataracts a couple of years ago. She knew she had glaucoma but thought it was being controlled. Turned out she was having major issues. Her eye pressures kept jumping around, and we made many visits, almost daily for a couple weeks and lots of drops trying to get it under control. One day the doctor did some tests and drops and then had us sit for an hour or so to see what happens. On the recheck, her pressure in one eye had soared to 40, not supposed to be more than 20. The doctor had some quick pictures and taken of the retina and a test of her vision fields. Turned out the glaucoma was damaging her retina and she had lost a portion of her sight. The doctor was scheduled to have afternoon surgery, he pushed all of his patients back and a frantic hour later she was on the surgery table and had the cataracts removed and a tube placed in her eye to release the pressure. Fortunately, the surgery went well and she had the other eye done a couple of weeks later. Some minor issues appeared later, due to some of the medications, but now seems to be doing well and only having check-ups every 2 to 3 months.

I am glad your doctor and family were able to be there for you and make the emergency less stressful. Take care and follow the drops schedule. They can work wonders. Linn.
Hi Linn, Thank you very much for sharing your wife's situation story, bro. :) So very thankful, too, that her surgery went great and that she is doing well. :) :thumbsup:

My folks and I are very familiar with CEI, also, as my mom was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica in the fall of 2022 and one of the underlying symptoms of that muscular illness can be Giant Cell Arteritis which is a scary condition in some patients as it can lead to blindness. My mom started seeing a rheumatologist named Dr Vivian Hobayan who is located in Lima, Ohio in the winter of 2023 and she has periodic visits to her for monitoring. She is on Prednisone for the PR to help keep it manageable and to give her relief. Mom also goes to CEI for checkups to monitor her vision due to the threat of GCA. So far prayerfully and thankfully she is doing okay visually. Both she and dad have also had cataracts removed and I also have some cataracts but not to the point yet of needing to have them removed. Dad also has glaucoma and does daily drops, too. Dad helps me with my eye drops and I take them at 8 AM, 2 PM, and 8 PM. :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

I got a great report yesterday from my surgeon, Dr. Mark Kaehr. :thumbupleft: PTL!! :heart: :)

He said that I can discontinue my overnight eye guard, that I no longer have to sleep at a 45 degree angle, and that my repaired eye's enhanced sensitivity to sunlight should subside over time. :)

My next followup with him won't be until Groundhog Day, Feb 2nd, 2024. :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome Eric! Truly something to be Thankful for indeed! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:56 pm Awesome Eric! Truly something to be Thankful for indeed! :thumbsup:
Yes indeed, Bro! :thumbsup: :thumbupleft:
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Hey Eric and sorry I missed this on the forum. So glad that it seems you got the help in time and certain things happen for certain reasons that sometimes we just can't understand. I knew you were not posting but I knew the move can be hectic and thought that was the reason. Take care my friend and wishing the best for you and your family as well.

BTW and not trying to put a damper on your recovery but found out this morning my sister had died on November 22. Very little contact with her over the past couple of decades but knew she had tons of problems. The clark county corner office in Nevada found my daughter on facebook as they were trying to find a way to reach her 2 kids who are adults now.I contacted them and yes it was my sister and we have gotten hold of her oldest child. She was 56 and hopefully at peace.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tim... I had thought the same as you with regards to Eric not posting i.e. moving. Also, my condolences on your sister passing away. May she RIP.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tpweather wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:22 pm Hey Eric and sorry I missed this on the forum. So glad that it seems you got the help in time and certain things happen for certain reasons that sometimes we just can't understand. I knew you were not posting but I knew the move can be hectic and thought that was the reason. Take care my friend and wishing the best for you and your family as well.

BTW and not trying to put a damper on your recovery but found out this morning my sister had died on November 22. Very little contact with her over the past couple of decades but knew she had tons of problems. The clark county corner office in Nevada found my daughter on facebook as they were trying to find a way to reach her 2 kids who are adults now.I contacted them and yes it was my sister and we have gotten hold of her oldest child. She was 56 and hopefully at peace.
Hi Tim, Thank you very much bro. :) Yes God's been there all the way guiding and seeing my folks and I through this process. :heartbeating: :) Don't know how we would otherwise get by daily without Him. :)

I wonder if this particular eye issue I had repaired is a genetic hereditary one e.g. as my dad also had a detached retina repaired successfully by the same surgeon a couple or so years ago at a Richmond, IN Whitewater Eye location.

The best to you and your family, too, Wxbuddy. :grouphug: So very sorry about the loss of your sister, bro, and prayers and thoughts go out to you, your family, and other extended family members. :grouphug: